Yet another one..."Which lens should i get" lol.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Wiljo_5, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Wiljo_5

Wiljo_5 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First of all, thanks for clicking on the thread.

Hi, i want to buy a new lens for my Nikon D60. Right now im working with the 18-55 lens the camera came with, and to be honest, i feel like i've "squeezed the juice" out of that lens (potential wise lol). I will mainly be taking candid pictures, skateboarding pictures, urban landscaping and some macro of flowers and such, So i think i need a good overall lens? Oh, i forgot to mention; IT NEEDS TO BE AFFORDABLE (since im on a budget, $200-$300 max)

Right now ive only researched ('cause i dont know much about lenses) the: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens and Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX.

Could you guys help me out?

Thank you very much, Will.

PS. Heres my Flickr page incase you want to see the kind of pictures i take so that you can get a feeling of what i mean (thanks again lol) : Flickr: .WillVaz.'s Photostream

2. Wiljo_5

Wiljo_5 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    30 views but no reply? common people.. please hahah

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably not a great choice because it's max aperture isn't very big.

For shooting things like skateboarders (especially when the light isn't great) you would be much better off with a lens that has a large maximum aperture. This can also help anytime you are shooting in less than ideal lighting or if you want a shallow DOF.

Have a look at the 50mm F1.8.

4. R6_Dude

R6_Dude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely look at the 50mm1.8. For Nikon its 199 and I believe 399 for a 1.4.

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can only imagine that you thought that was funny.

:er:

So instead of assistance, I'll offer some advice. 1) Use the search function. 2) $200-300 is like pissing in the ocean.

6. erhard

erhard TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For the type of urban photography you're talking about and macro ability, maybe look at something like the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO, but it will probably not fall into your budget range.
    Therein lies a bit of a problem, with such a limited budget, you might be hard pressed to get a half decent zoom/Macro lens.

7. Wiljo_5

Wiljo_5 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I meant "come on people." im sorry, english is my second language.

8. george elsasser

george elsasser TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are serious about your photography:

The first question is do you know the 35mm film equivalent your lens is on the D60? Do you know the factor figure to use to get that information, if both answers are no, in my opinion you do not need a new lens. Another question one would probably ask you is what photographers you admire and which photographers books you own?

As you may already know the 18-55mm lens on a D60 is 27-82.5mm. Before zoom lenses became good, there was a 35mm, a 50mm and an 80mm. These were the primary lenses all of which you have covered from 27-82.5mm.

Every thing below 28mm is extreme wide angle and takes a good deal of practice to master and everything on the longer end 200mm and up is the same deal.

"i feel like i've "squeezed the juice" out of that lens (potential wise lol)"

Cartier Bresson used one lens his whole career, Ralph Gibson has used a 50mm lens for 95-98% of his work for 40+yrs. Alex Webb uses a 28mm exclusively.

A 50mm lens on that camera will be a 75mm lens, you already have one of those. The 50mm(75mm) would be faster than what you have but that's all. Optically a little better also but will it add soul and heart to you pictures no way no how!

I do not know much about macro but you could get close up filters and see if it is your thing before dumping big money. Honestly there is not much around for 300. that is gonna be much better than what you already have. There is nothing wrong with the lens you have, I used one my self quite a bit both professionally and personally sharp and decent correction. Do not get caught up in better stuff makes better photos- better photographers make better photos. Sometimes better stuff is heaver, for some photographers heavier is never better. Spend the money on a class or some books.

I looked at some of your images they are coming along nicely. If you want to stick with zooms I'm not sure there is a better choice technically unless you got more than 300. There is nothing in your listed photos above that needs a different lens, A faster lens for low light. A single focal length that can focus faster but other than that......

My point here is if your serious about photography don't get crazy about gear get crazy about pictures. If and when you need different stuff you will get it- but do not make the mistake of forgoing education for camera stuff. This site is loaded with people obsessed with camera stuff which is perfectly fine - but do let that get in the way of improving your images, it is 2 different things. Making photos and really really studying photos will make you a better photographer. Have you accepted responsibility for everything that is in the rectangle of you photos are there things there you would rather not be there, if so find a different position not another lens.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  9. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I pretty much stopped reading after this. I personally think that if someone has no basis for the previous baseline, then it is irrevalent. It's like equivocating feet to meters without any basic training.

Without sounding pedantic, the analogy you present (as with most people) seem to forget that the difference between a cropped sensor and a full frame sensor (35mm equivalent) is in Field of View. It has nothing to do with Focal Length. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens...... and so on. This is a common and very misleading misnomer.

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you dont have a fast normal prime then your next lens should always be a fast normal prime.

11. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My bad. FYI, a typical colloquialism is 'c'mon people' for come on people.

I still say that your current budget is not going to yield a very good lens.

12. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I will have to third or fourth the idea of a 35mm or 50mm lens. the 35mm lens is like 200 bucks and its fast and will focus on your camera. It would be nice for walkaround cause you would physically have to WALK closer to your subjects or farther away from them. haha, but it would be nice either way.