Yet another photographer looking at switching to film

Don't have time to read through all the posts so mine probably have been mentioned.

I have always done 35mm until last week when I got my DSLR. I am not a professional and don't do it for money. In the past, I've turned down a few offers to shoot some events mainly because I don't have the right equipment I need. I needed a digital. Why? Because with film, there's too much risk of not getting it right without knowing it. Things like wrong ISO setting, old film, film not winding correctly etc. These are often the mistakes and errors that you will only find out later when it's too late. Furthermore, it is not cost effective as a business tool. On top of that, you need to have your own scanner if you want to scan it yourself. Otherwise, having it professionally scanned will cost a lot.

Weddings are lifetime events that you don't want to screw up for someone else, especially when they are paying you. I'd opt for the safest way to get good results.

One thing I can recommend in your case is to use older lens on your DSLR instead, that's if your camera takes those lens.
For example, I am using Nikkor AI-S lens from the early 80s on the D700. The image quality it produces is just like how it would behave on negative. It retains the same kind of softness. Color is definitely different because the medium is different. In general, it is just like what I want it to be. These lens are mostly MF but if it's short lens like the F1.2 50mm or F2.8 20mm, it's fine as long as you are not trying to catch running kids or dogs. You can get them at great price also!

Guess what, I went out to shoot this weekend with the new digital camera and it is just as much work making sure my settings are correct as me using my F4. Actually, I spent much more time fiddling with the settings. Sloppy? Depends on the shooter.

Before we had digital as a viable option we HAD to take the risk with film which usually meant having a back up camera and taking 2 shots from 2 cameras for most shots (thinking of weddings). But I agree that these days it makes sense to switch to digital as primary or as backup (as I do) to better manage risk. However, I am of the firm opinion that nothing digital can yet begin to approach the feeling of a good film shot.

Last edited:
I hate film because it doesn't give me the speed as the digital and i hate digital because it doesn't give me the look/feel of film.

The only best digital and film cameras i have are: Hasselblad H4D[Was H3DII] and large format 4x5, i may reconsider my 35mm DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back