sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think a couple of these are getting closer to decent; focus is getting a little more consistent, and I'm *beginning* to really get it through my head that:
--There is very little point in shooting the action on the far end of the field from me, and
--It will NOT kill me nor short circuit my camera to push the ISO up over 800. I have a serious mental block about doing this, but I pushed it way up over that on Monday night.

Even with the ISO at 6400 (and seriously noisy photos as a result), much of the second half was just too dark to be worth much. On the ones I even bothered to process, I had to REALLY up the exposure in post.

Any C&C is appreciated. In case you haven't seen the other soccer threads I've posted, I'm shooting with a D5100 and a 55-300 f/4-5.6 lens. And thinking one of those things is gonna have to change sometime soon; not sure which.

1. ISO 1250, 1/320, f/4.8, 150mm

vsPowell_0122web by sm4him, on Flickr

2. ISO 4000, 1/320, f/4.8, 125mm

vsPowell_0237web by sm4him, on Flickr

3. ISO 1250, 1/320, f/5.3, 240mm

vsPowell_0102web by sm4him, on Flickr

I should also mention, this is a terrible field to shoot in terms of background distractions--buildings and tents and just plain junk EVERYWHERE.

I'd push up your shutter speed. 1/500 is my lowest limit for motion sports. You've got no problems here from it anywhere besides the ball or feet.
You did a great job with these and minimizing the distractions!!! You're doing far better with these than I did in my first year shooting sports!!!

Played soccer 15 years, finally hung up my boots in college. Now I'm kicking for the university's football team.

#2 = $

How 'bout a nice tight crop on #2? Very good for what you were up against.

I like 1 and 3, they might get some improvement from upping the contrast a little bit. #2 kind of misses out for me because the ball is in an awkward spot to really reflect that the player is getting a shot off on goal. If she had taken the shot, it would have been good to see her follow through and the ball on the way to the keeper.

You are doing good, keep at it and you will start seeing more shots during the action.

P.S At least some of your backgrounds are camouflaged. :D

Played soccer 15 years, finally hung up my boots in college. Now I'm kicking for the university's football team.

#2 = $

Thanks!! I played keeper for about 15 years, quit when I was 30 and pregnant with my oldest son! LOVE the sport!

How 'bout a nice tight crop on #2? Very good for what you were up against.

I thought about that; I could crop some off both sides, but I'm not sure I could get in very tight without cutting off her arm.

I like 1 and 3, they might get some improvement from upping the contrast a little bit. #2 kind of misses out for me because the ball is in an awkward spot to really reflect that the player is getting a shot off on goal. If she had taken the shot, it would have been good to see her follow through and the ball on the way to the keeper

You are doing good, keep at it and you will start seeing more shots during the action.

Thanks, Tony--I think I'm beginning to get a little more comfortable with it; I do have a bit of a tendency to get too caught up in the action as a fan and forget to take the shot, but I'm learning, slowly, to take the photographer role instead!

I may go back and try playing with the contrast a little--I always try to err on the side of caution in processing to avoid bumping things like contrast TOO far.

I did actually get a shot of the follow-through with the ball on its way to the goal, but I was at the wrong angle for it, and it's also one that suffered from too low of a shutter speed. I'd have been MUCH happier with the follow-through shot if you could see the keeper enough to see her reacting to the ball heading her way. (although, if I recall, she didn't really *react*, not enough--if she had, that would never have been a goal for our team. Watching mediocre keepers frustrates me; I want to walk out there and give them some lessons...)

P.S At least some of your backgrounds are camouflaged. :D
:lol: Yeah, there's a National Guard Armory next door to the school.

Thanks for the encouragement; I'm having fun!! Already thinking about who I can shoot some football for, and the fact that I have a friend who coaches wrestling...but NOT Volleyball...ya'll have me scared off from volleyball! :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back