Yikes! My tripod won't latch!

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I have a 15 year old Bogen 3036 tripod - big heavy thing, gets to be about 9' tall, and was rated at something like 45 pounds. It uses the quick locking friction latches on the legs: 1/4 twist of a little handle, and the tripod is set. Use to be, it would hold up rock steady in a hurricane.

Two of the latches don't quite latch any more: I can twist them tight to their stops, and still slide the legs in and out by hand. Not a good thing.

The Manfrotto support site makes no mention of this model or this style of latch, and an email to them was hysterically answered "...the 3036 is no longer in support blah blah buy a new one blah blah out high quality products blah blah..." Meanwhile, I'm out of money and ideas.

So. Anyone have an old Manfrotto/Bogen tripod with the below latch assembly on the legs? If so, have you ever adjusted them? The nuts are captive, and I have no idea how to give them a 1/4 turn or so to increase the friction. Help!

Back:

2387664974_8472a3e497_o.jpg

Front:
2387665036_678c365726_o.jpg

Could you remove the locking washer, tighten the bolt, then replace the locking washer?

Best,
Helen

I love the Cher wig...

That's what I'm headed for. I hate to do it - those things can be easily damaged. Here I go, though...

Okay. Everyone repeat after me:

"Duh."

The locking washer is not some hardened steel device originally designed to keep the space shuttle in orbit and save the planet. It's a cheap little plastic doohickey that pops off with a toothpick. 30 seconds, this tripod can (once again) support a jumbo jet.

Sometimes, I guess, I just need a little Helen.

Cheers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back