Yikes! Nervous!!

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by JaimeGibb, Jun 1, 2008.

1. JaimeGibb

JaimeGibb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I have two "shoots" today, one for a sixth month old plus mom and dad, and one for a one week old, recently adopted, and mom and dad. It's not a paid shoot, for I'm still trying to build my portfolio, but it's my first child shoot outside of my close network of friends and family, so Im super nervous!! Can you folks give me any advice, tips, posing suggestions, ANYthing to help me out at ALL? It would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Here's what I have to work with:

Cannon EOS20D body
    Canon 85mm 1.4 lens (my great portrait lens)
    Kit lens, 50-85 mm (Id rather not resort to using this)
    Speedlite attachable flash
    Black and fuzzy white fabric for backdrop and prop, as well as an oval, cherry colored wicker basket (think laundry basket, not the tall kind, the short, oval kind).

Im also unaware of the lighting situation. I know some with the 6 month old will be outdoors, but I'm not sure about a one week old outdoors...ack Im freaking out over here!!! I really don't want to flop! Any help would be awesome, thank you so much guys!!

2. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well they are both infants I have got my best results with a plain black background with minimal clothing. I would say stick to the lens you are comfortable with. And allow lots of time for cuddling calming baby just in case. Baby's can be fun to shoot as long as you take your time! :thumbup:

3. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like shooting tiny ones under natural light. With a newborn, try near a window with lots of light, but not direct...ya know. North facing I believe. Simple everything (honestly I hate putting kids in baskets and hate props too but thats me.)

With babies sitting up or on their tummy, I like to lay on my stomach. My camera is steady and I am at their level. And I also like to keep shooting while we are tending to their needs...not as much but keep you camera on you and ready. I have gotten the most tender shots at those times...and funny ones too.

Get lots of super close ups, but also far away. If the older one has a new skill or working on one, tryto photograph that one.

I have to also say, I am no pro but have gotten to do quite a few baby shoots...I also never do more then 1 a weekend and 2 a week but I have little kids and if I do more I wouldnt have time to process them

4. JaimeGibb

JaimeGibb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so much fo the advice!! It turned out nicely, and your comments really helped me relax :)