Yoko - Cosplay - Gun - Special FX - C&C PLS

I like the toned down sparks better, too. AND somehow it looks more like she's being knocked backwards off her feet by the recoil. :)

Here is a version with the sparks toned down. Thoughts?
I guess it depends on what your audience is expecting. Realism or fantasy.
Designer, do you realise you just used the word realism in talking about cosplay? :biglaugh:
Seriously, I know what you mean and you were 100% right about the breech flash but how realistic is a half naked girl in cowboy boots and a red wig carrying a fantasy weapon that Rambo would struggle to lift, let alone fire from the shoulder? She wouldn't only be knocked off her feet, she'd spend 6 months in hospital having her shoulder reconstructed! It's like asking for realism in a superman comic strip. ;)

Designer, do you realise you just used the word realism in talking about cosplay? :biglaugh:
Oh, right. But still; somewhat realistic would probably help with the fantasy. No?

regardless, this shot doesn't have to look as completely shopped/contrived as it does.

the pose is obvious that she was sitting down then "floated" in PS.
her facial expression doesn't match the action.
the lighting on her is poor -- her back is more lit than her face in front of a gun burst. There's a faked shadow on the ground, but the heavy light warm on her back reads wrong -- i'd expect a shadow cast differently and the WB doesn't match the ground.
her skin looks sickly.
the dirt on her feet looks very faked. as well as the blur on the muzzle. the 1995 Ps v2.0 lens flare actually made me laugh out loud. the weird horizontal motion streaks don't make any sense.
the random background and foreground don't fit the subject, and just looks awkward -- the narrow patch of beach (with tire tracks) looks too narrow to be real, and the perfectly level water line is obviously fake.

I honestly don't see how this last version is any better than the first -- just a lot more PS filters applied to it.

regardless, this shot doesn't have to look as completely shopped/contrived as it does.

the pose is obvious that she was sitting down then "floated" in PS.
her facial expression doesn't match the action.
the lighting on her is poor -- her back is more lit than her face in front of a gun burst. There's a faked shadow on the ground, but the heavy light warm on her back reads wrong -- i'd expect a shadow cast differently and the WB doesn't match the ground.
her skin looks sickly.
the dirt on her feet looks very faked. as well as the blur on the muzzle. the 1995 Ps v2.0 lens flare actually made me laugh out loud. the weird horizontal motion streaks don't make any sense.
the random background and foreground don't fit the subject, and just looks awkward -- the narrow patch of beach (with tire tracks) looks too narrow to be real, and the perfectly level water line is obviously fake.

I honestly don't see how this last version is any better than the first -- just a lot more PS filters applied to it.

I had an English teacher like you once Braineack; after he humiliated me in front of the class. I gave up writing and haven't written anything other than reports since.
Every word in your C&C has some truth in it but you seem to have missed the enthusiasm and the sense of fun in a young, aspiring photographer and retoucher who should be encouraged and inspired to build on his skills. :(

Grand dad is right, PS work like this takes a very long time to master. Learning to become a great PS composites takes ten times long than learning to be a great photographer.

I mean... it's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty cool. Maybe one day I can make it realistic.

no, it's not awful by any stretch. Hard to sound too tactful online while being critical. I know you're capable; seen your work.

I mean... it's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty cool. Maybe one day I can make it realistic.
You should get a studio with a foam pit, so people doing cosplay shoots!!! :1219:

What is supposed to be casting the shadow on her nose?
I also see no source for those flares you added.

no, it's not awful by any stretch. Hard to sound too tactful online while being critical. I know you're capable; seen your work.

You've just gone right back up in my estimation Braineack. The teacher I referred to would never have said that. :)

You should get a studio with a foam pit, so people doing cosplay shoots!!! :1219:

What do you mean?

Like this https://gymnasticscoaching.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/walker-pit.jpeg so instead of the subject haveing to sit on something, and PS it out, the subject could just jump into the pit in whatever pose they want. It may not work well, but it would be fun!

What do you mean?

Like this https://gymnasticscoaching.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/walker-pit.jpeg so instead of the subject haveing to sit on something, and PS it out, the subject could just jump into the pit in whatever pose they want. It may not work well, but it would be fun!

Interesting idea!

Most reactions

Back