Yongnuo users.. I have a question.

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I'm looking to trigger a second camera using my Yongnuo YN-622tx unit. The unit will be on my D500, with the remote camera being a D7100. I'd like the ability to be able to sync flash units at the same time, but even if it would only work with ambient light it would still be hugely useful for me.

What do I need to make this happen? Just a regular YN-622N transceiver and shutter cable to put on my D7100?

Will it sync the second camera in time with flash units?

Any input is appreciated.

@Destin So I understand your question. Are you saying you want to trigger another speedlight, or fire the shutter on another camera???? To my knowledge they (speedlights) don't work in reverse either via optical or wireless. I use a wireless remote to trigger the shutter on my camera, but it's finicky about where you stand, so I'm not sure that you could trigger two simultaneously with one remote. I

@smoke665 I currently use the trigger to control 4 speed lights, without issue. It works great. I'm looking to use the same trigger to control the shutter on my camera using RF technology. The remotes that are picky about where you stand are the IR ones, which won't accomplish what I want.

My goal here is to mount a camera up high or in interesting locations at sporting events/concerts/etc, and use a trigger system to have that camera take photos at the same time as the camera in my hand. Thereby allowing me to get two angles without having another photographer. This would be beneficial for things like cheerleading competitions, where I need to have wide shots of the whole team, but want to take tight individual shots as well.

I know this is possible with pocket wizards, but exactly how to pull it off with yongnuo gear isn't crystal clear. I'm assuming it's possible as all the yongnuo triggers come with shutter cables.

So my questions are:

A: Exactly how do I set this up?

B: Will I still be able to trigger flash units while simultaneously triggering a second camera, and will the second camera's shutter sync with the flash units as well?

Nikon makes specific gear for this but $$$$

test a 622 with the trigger cable and see what happens.

Nikon makes specific gear for this but $$$$

test a 622 with the trigger cable and see what happens.

Don't actually own one because I just use the single transmitter to trigger YN-685 flashes with built in receivers. The flashes don't have an output port, only inputs.

That being said, I just ordered a YN-622 transceiver to try it out. Because we'll.. it's only $40 and if it doesn't work I'll have a backup transmitter or one to use on a second body.

Will update with results.

just ordered a YN-622 transceiver to try it ou

I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking YN uses 2.4 ghz wireless, not IR.

I hope it works!

Im using the yn560- lineup and would love to do something similar. If I have to switch to 622s so be it.

Exactly. So it'll work more reliably over greater distances.

It won't trigger the camera through the IR receiver like nikon remote.. essentially you use a cable to connect a flash receiver to the camera's shutter/ten pin/USB port (the one you plug a wired remote release into), thereby giving you a 2.4ghz wireless RF flash trigger that can sync your camer's shutters together

I hope it works!

Im using the yn560- lineup and would love to do something similar. If I have to switch to 622s so be it.

I'll let you know when it gets here Wednesday! Based on some preliminary testing I think it should work no problem, but I could be wrong.

Really, any trigger system that has a receiver or transceiver with an export port of some type should do the trick.

I'll let you know when it gets here Wednesday! Based on some preliminary testing I think it should work no problem, but I could be wrong.

P.lease do, and might want to have someone else standing by with another camera to catch the fireworks if it goes horribly bad. That would make a great shot to nominate for POTM! :1219:

Exactly. So it'll work more reliably over greater distances.

It won't trigger the camera through the IR receiver like nikon remote.. essentially you use a cable to connect a flash receiver to the camera's shutter/ten pin/USB port (the one you plug a wired remote release into), thereby giving you a 2.4ghz wireless RF flash trigger that can sync your camer's shutters together
ok, now I understand what you are asking.

I actually do this with 2 cameras and a telescope/lens setup. I trigger 2 cameras remotely with the 622N (you push the Test button) and the 2 cameras have a TX unit with the trigger cable connected. Or I did, I have to get the 10 pin round connector for the d500 (but not sure it'll work now). As it worked before with the d750 / d600 / d7000 combo.

As you know my D500 doesn't like the TX.

btw, the 603 units I don't think are compatible with the 622 units.

reread your post ...
You want a "Commander" camera to trigger a 2nd camera as you'll have all the flashes there.

I don't know if that will work, but if you just use another 622N to trigger BOTH cameras w/TX trigger cable and the lights, it technically should work.

FYI. I just use this for triggering the cameras. They are in manual and configured as such. So the trigger only triggers the shutter (actually MUP, then shutter). If you have 2 different cameras though their response may be slightly different. Better cameras have faster response. I use this technique for astro so it doesn't really matter.

If you want it to work exactly as you are asking .. this is probably your only solution, and multiples of it. Though it also drops the younguo triggers from the mix too ==> WR-1 Wireless Remote Controller from Nikon

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps. I use 3 Yongnuo RF-603N to trigger 2 cameras D500 and D3s. RF-603N are connected to the cameras 10pin. I use both cameras on tripods and trigger the shutters with the 3rd one. I can't trigger the shutter camera to camera with this setup. They work ok for a $45 setup

It helps me MSnowy,

Can you put a 560tx controller on top of the on camera 603 to control some 560 flashes off camera? It would then basically be the manual setup version of what Destin is trying to do with 622s.

Most reactions

Back