Yorkie Portrait (Dog)

Tally Ho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Annie!

Original on Kodak Portra 160NC (negative film) then digitized by my lab. Bronica GS 1 with a 150mm lens. Portrait lighting with a kicker light to camera left. Dogs usually respond well to a strange noise or a loud whistle and will reward you with perked up ears and cocked heads. Treats will also work well.

Tally Ho

A really good portrait, the lighting is excellent. I can imagine that it would be very tough to get that perfect pose for very long. Even with the catch lights, the eyes look a little 'blanked out' but I don't think there is much you can do about that.

Nice to have some one of your caliber here at the forum.

Thanks Big Mike. It seems you don't have any problem critiquing my image. The way I see it if it needs something, I assume the photographers here can see it and comment on it without me prompting them.

Tally Ho

Cute shot. I've done a bunch of Silkie Terriers. They look the same except the Silkie doesn't wear the bow in their hair. :D

It looks like you focused on the nose rather than the eyes as it's a little bit soft around them. Your lighting is good except for the face. It looks like you have one softbox or umbrella to camera right. I find when I shoot dogs that I like having one at camera position (as close as I can get it without blocking the camera) but at just a bit above nose level. I have it at the same fstop or just a tad under what the main light is, which is usually to camera right or left depending on which way the dog is facing if they are at an angle.

I also like to have one above, either shining down or bouncing off my white ceiling. It's like a hair light on a person, but on a dog is more of an ear light. :D I usually have it about 2 stops down from the main light.

I've found that most dogs will only respond to a noise once, maybe twice before they realize it's nothing to worry about. That's why I usually have a dozen or more noise makers. The animal sounds are really effective... once or twice each. I also do a variety of visual things, balls, stuffed animals, weighted cloths, keys, etc., to toss. And then food is always good, although some dogs are more concerned with what is going on and aren't food motivated. Stick cheese is a favorite around the dogs I shoot, but they are open to variety of things. I just try to stick with things that don't get my hands too greasy if I don't have an assistant to help.

Again, good picture. I always stop to look when I see someone doing dog portraits or other dog related shots. :D

Mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back