You Ate My Dog photo shoot

Thanks Martin, you an inspiration to all of us!

I want people to think for themselves. If I was to explain how I achieve this look I would have to do a step by step tutorial and I just won't do that. If you want a tutorial go buy Joey Lawrence's tutorial. I've learned everything myself. If people just try to let go of the thought that everything is HDR then you'll get pictures like this too after a few months of practice. ;P Like I said, studio lighting, raw convertion and a lot of dodging and burning. Now go google. ;)

One light in the rear to light up the hall away. One light to the left of the camera, probably with a big softbox...it could be an umbrella but people don't use those with studio strobes. One light to the right of the camera, almost at a 90 degree angle. You can see the catch mainly on the grey sweatshirt's sleeve, but it helps a lot with what would be shadows from one main light. The right light looks like it's a little close, as it catches straight on on the upper right person's face and up higher on the bottom right arm.

If you look close, you can tell where some of the D&B tools were used.

I really like the style though. It's fun and sometimes it's really hard to get a band that wants to cooperate with a fun or goofy idea.

^^^ Thanks VI. Personally I don't care a wit about how he set it up. I admired the image and if I did care I would have asked first (EXIF data is my best tool...from there I could set it up). If he didn't answer, as is his right, Googling, trial & error and study would yield answers. No one asked for a tutorial. That's not the point I was trying to make. I'm saying, what is the point of joining a forum? Is it to be a big fish in a small pond? To post for praise? Not much money in that is there. Or is it to share information and improve one's skills. I'm just sayin'...

Told ya, just think for yourselves. ^^ Not 100% correct about the lighting setup but close enough. And there is no real recipe; the PP is all about spending a lot time in Photoshop and not rushing anything. Ask any photographer who's into the same style.

One Sister: I understand what you mean. But like I said, I can't explain everything in short terms. I gave you some hints, so just think for yourself. If you'd ask about the lighting then I'd answer right away because it's nothing advanced. Three lights. And it's almost better that you go on experiment and develop your own style. I mean, my style isn't very original if you think about it. If you don't have studio lights or several external flashes, then go buy and start experimenting. The light is 75% of the image or maybe even more. My photos wouldn't look like this if I hadn't got my lights.

excellent work as always and I agree working things out for yourself by looking around the WWW and trying different techniques is much more satisfying than being told.

Great work Martin! The only disturbing part is the ZERO-guys slightly deformed arm/hand. I really can see that you have put a lot of work on this one.

PS
Du hänger på Grafiskt Forum också va?

If I may,

A shot like this starts with very good lighting. Post doesn't need too much except some dodge/burn to accentuate dimensional qualities. This particular shot used some type of unsharp masking, whether it's the USM filter or high pass sharpening is hard to tell though I'd lean toward the latter if I had to guess. The metallic highlights are the unsharp masking giveaway. Increased contrast is likely a function of this and not simply increasing it in with the brightness/contrast tool.

This is a perfect example of why I LOVE band pictures but it took me a bit to figure out what was happening with zero guy's hand. I couldn't even make out the index finger at first but I felt relieved when I discovered it... for some reason.

I've recently purchased three lights as well and that just makes this photo that much more inspiring!

Most reactions

Back