You can have one body and two lenses

I met a fellow at Pier 39 in Astoria, Oregon, on the mighty Columbia River, and he let me use his Nikkor 200-500 on my D610 to shoot a bunch of test files...I was greatly impressed by the files I shot with it. Seems to me like it could be the "one long lens" solution for most of the fair weather months of the year, now that Nikons have such amazing higher ISO performance.

I am thinking about heading in the Pro Photo Supply, to see the all-day Sigma representative show, but am afraid I might drop $1399 for the new 135 f/1.8 ART lens...so, thinking about NOT going to the demo day...watched three on-line reviews of the 135/1.8 this morning...

Now that I own one I’m telling you... you WILL buy that lens if you test it. I am in love.

Heading out tonight to shoot some low light portraits with Christmas lights and a cute model.. will post results for you to see tomorrow.

Now that I have moved from 24 Megapixel Nikon full-frames (D3x, D610) to the D800 and 36 Megapixels, I have become more interested in acquiring a few, very special, very distinctive imager-type lenses; the newish Sigma 135/1.8 is a distinctive imager; unlike the Nikkor 135 AF Defocus Control that I sold off a year ago, the new Sigma seems to have almost _zero_ visible color fringing at wide apertures...something the old Nikkor had at f/2 to f/4 to a degree that made me not want to shoot it at such f/stops.

Back to the ONE BODY and two lenses question: as much as I did love the D3x, the extra pixel count of the D800 or D810 would make me change my vote to my newest Nikon, the D800...same AF module, MultiCAM 3500, as the D3x had in the D800, but a bigger file, better for crop-ins, and better ISO performance than the D3x sensor had, so my new one body, two lens forever has the D800 and the "old" 28-105 zoom and the 70-200 f/4 AF-S VR-G lens...I've never liked the performance of any 70-200 wide-open, so the f/4 is my choice in a 70-200.

But, seriously though...this question is a mere hypothetical. I, and millions of photo enthusiasts, and full-ime working and part-time pros could never, ever own just two lenses! Gotta own that glass! 24,50,85,105, 60 macro,90 macro,300/4,etc.,etc.. Got.To.Have.Glass.

Now that I have moved from 24 Megapixel Nikon full-frames (D3x, D610) to the D800 and 36 Megapixels, I have become more interested in acquiring a few, very special, very distinctive imager-type lenses; the newish Sigma 135/1.8 is a distinctive imager; unlike the Nikkor 135 AF Defocus Control that I sold off a year ago, the new Sigma seems to have almost _zero_ visible color fringing at wide apertures...something the old Nikkor had at f/2 to f/4 to a degree that made me not want to shoot it at such f/stops.

Back to the ONE BODY and two lenses question: as much as I did love the D3x, the extra pixel count of the D800 or D810 would make me change my vote to my newest Nikon, the D800...same AF module, MultiCAM 3500, as the D3x had in the D800, but a bigger file, better for crop-ins, and better ISO performance than the D3x sensor had, so my new one body, two lens forever has the D800 and the "old" 28-105 zoom and the 70-200 f/4 AF-S VR-G lens...I've never liked the performance of any 70-200 wide-open, so the f/4 is my choice in a 70-200.

But, seriously though...this question is a mere hypothetical. I, and millions of photo enthusiasts, and full-ime working and part-time pros could never, ever own just two lenses! Gotta own that glass! 24,50,85,105, 60 macro,90 macro,300/4,etc.,etc.. Got.To.Have.Glass.

I didn't know you had the 70-200 f/4 VR. That lens, besides the 20 1.8 has been probably best decision I ever made. Nikon hit the ball out of the park on that lens, no question. I love shooting with it. That one stop of difference is nearly unnoticeable.

Most reactions

Back