You can use Normal SLR lenses on D'SLRs but on any make?

technical.advice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I now know you can use normal SLR lenses on Digital SLR's but does this go for any make?

Or is it that Nikkor lenses will only fit Nikon Digital SLR's? Or does any make lens fit any make Digital SLR?

Thanks very much.

Brand specific. Nikkor work on Nikon (or any camera that advertises a nikon mount. Canon work on canon etc. Third-party brands such as Sigma or Tokina make lenses for all major brands. They will say what camera brand they were made for.

It is possible to buy an adaptor that will allow one brand of lens to be used on another brand of camera eg Canon lens on Nikon body.
I've seen one in use but don't think autofocus use is retained through the adaptor

darich said:
It is possible to buy an adaptor that will allow one brand of lens to be used on another brand of camera eg Canon lens on Nikon body.
I've seen one in use but don't think autofocus use is retained through the adaptor

True. The stop-motion animated film Corpse Bride was shot entirely with Canon dSLR's and Nikon lenses. But for a consumer it's best to buy lenses built for your camera.

As a general rule Nikon F mount lens since 1959, MF and AF lenses on all Nikon SLR and DSLR bodies with some metering limitations on some bodies. All other MF lenses on that brand MF bodies and AF lenses on that brand AF bodies. Third party lenses made for a specific brand AF or MF body.

EF-S lenses only fit the Canon Digital Rebel (aka 300D), the new Rebel XT (350D) and the 20D. All other Canon DSLRs use standard EF lenses.
EF lenses, however, fit all Canon DSLRs.

Most reactions

Back