You Can't Take Pictures Here!

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to help an attorney today, who is a friend of mine...he needed my technical knowledge for a case he is working on.
As I left, I went to a location to shoot tall buildings about a mile from his office.

I have been stopped by police twice in this city before.
So I am minding my business on the sidewalk taking photos, and a police car comes up to me with lites flashing and stops right in front of me...I am thinking here we go again. I happen to be photographing the Ritz Carlton Hotel. He walks right past me to an altercation that is happening at the entrance. In the mean time the manager sees me and comes over to tell me "You can't take pictures here". I told him (a few fibs) that I was a photographer who is well versed in the law and that the city ordinance owns the sidewalks up to 15ft from the curb. I told him to stop harassing me or I would call over one of the now 12 cops who were less than 30ft from us. He gave me a snotty look and walked away.

1 for photogs :thumbup:
-1 for hotel managers :thumbdown:

Awesome job P!! Way to use intelligence and cheek to triumph. Nice work!

Good work. :lol:

There are very few places I know of that photography actually is forbidden... And I comply, of course.

I would love to bring a camera into those places though, lol. My workplace being one of them... So many cool things there... Oh well.

There are legitimate security concerns necessitating the ban of cameras at work, so I can deal with it. State secrets and corporate espionage and all that...

(Corporate espionage is serious business that a lot of businesses pretty much ignore... :meh: )

I went to help an attorney today, who is a friend of mine...he needed my technical knowledge for a case he is working on.
As I left, I went to a location to shoot tall buildings about a mile from his office.

I have been stopped by police twice in this city before.
So I am minding my business on the sidewalk taking photos, and a police car comes up to me with lites flashing and stops right in front of me...I am thinking here we go again. I happen to be photographing the Ritz Carlton Hotel. He walks right past me to an altercation that is happening at the entrance. In the mean time the manager sees me and comes over to tell me "You can't take pictures here". I told him (a few fibs) that I was a photographer who is well versed in the law and that the city ordinance owns the sidewalks up to 15ft from the curb. I told him to stop harassing me or I would call over one of the now 12 cops who were less than 30ft from us. He gave me a snotty look and walked away.

1 for photogs :thumbup:
-1 for hotel managers :thumbdown:

:biglaugh: way to go!

Great job more photographer's need to take a stand now. Or you won't have one to stand on latter. Way too many are mimicking words they do not understand. Or think they are a special case. And the laws do not apply to them. Just made up ones for photographers.

Had the same thing happen with outside the permit zone for filming Leverage series outside my building. Trying to lie to me with legal jibber-jabber and told them that was not true. Then broke down and told me that the director didn't like people taking pics of his sets. I told the assistant Too Bad! as I was outside the zone and using a zoom.

Leverage Series in PDX 1 of 9 by orb9220, on Flickr

Leverage Series in PDX 9 of 9 by orb9220, on Flickr

Leverage TV Series - 04 by orb9220, on Flickr

Leverage TV Series - 02 "Now don't feel bad about my gear to haul" by orb9220, on Flickr

I love this! :lol: :lmao:
I was actually walking around in Vancouver BC. was there for a day trip with the girlfriend. We were standing outside of a Versace and Chanel store, one of the managers I guess we could call him walked out and asked me politely not to take pictures outside of his store. I simply asked why and he said because it's against the law. Ofcourse with a snarky attitude. I simply replied, go ahead and call a police officer and he will be talking to you about harrassment and not me simply minding my own business taking pictures.

Had the same thing happen with outside the permit zone for filming Leverage series outside my building. Trying to lie to me with legal jibber-jabber and told them that was not true. Then broke down and told me that the director didn't like people taking pics of his sets.
Talk about having some sweet gear to use. :drool:

Most reactions

Back