You caught us

DramaDork626 said:
yes, ok, that I understand and accept...flat out insulting I don't accept. there is a difference between insulting and brutal honesty...

come on, don't be a sour looser! you are here to understand how to judge the quality of photographs. and if one person says it ok he's a moron but if more say the same you're probably looking at it the wrong way. understand no one wants to insult you or if they do they're not so diplomatic :D

so chill and understand why it is rated as it is.

I think this is a photo that could work, but in it's present state falls a little short. Personally, I like the colors. However, I think the photo would be better if she lady with the red hair was also looking towards camera, and her face could be seen.
I like the intensity of the look of the girl with the brown hair (you?), but the positioning on the bodies seems contrived and uncomfortable. I think it would be better (and more flattering) to have the girls laying besides one another, one in front of the other, close as you have them now, and both looking towards the camera.
I don't have a problem with the composition of extreme right lower frame, but the angles of the bodies throws what is good about the above into a certain uncomfortableness. Am I making any sense?
I'd say give it another try.

elsaspet said:
I like the intensity of the look of the girl with the brown hair (you?), but the positioning on the bodies seems contrived and uncomfortable. I think it would be better (and more flattering) to have the girls laying besides one another, one in front of the other, close as you have them now, and both looking towards the camera.

I have to disagree in that I think it's DramaDorks style that's very different from what we normally see and the unusual position of her subjects is part of that style? (not sure if I'm putting across exactly what I mean:confused: )

Sort of like it's supposed to be a deliberately staged shot to enhance a dramatic scene?

I may be wrong but this is the feeling I have got from her previous photos especially the knife series. It wasn't supposed to look "natural". Kinda like the theatre.:confused:

Just needs work to remove the elements of everyday snapshots to keep up with a staged "theatre" look.

Here's my honest critique: it looks like they tripped, and you took a picture. The photoshop blur is a little uneven, the colors and background are distracting, and it looks like they're laying on SOMETHING, but I really can't tell what. I don't think it's good for a photo to have something that you to say "What in the heck IS that??" in it. Any EXTRA clothing I think should go from the models, too... the sweatshirt tied around the waist, and that...black...something, around the girls arm...not sure what that is. Then get them into a more natural, and perhaps passionate, pose. And what look are you going for on their faces? Right now it looks like the dark-haired girl is saying "DO YOU MIND?! *glare* " Perhaps you want a look more of shock? Or embarassment?

Anyway, that's my two cents, take it or leave it.

eydryan said:
come on, don't be a sour looser! you are here to understand how to judge the quality of photographs. and if one person says it ok he's a moron but if more say the same you're probably looking at it the wrong way. understand no one wants to insult you or if they do they're not so diplomatic :D

so chill and understand why it is rated as it is.

it has nothing to do with being a sour loser. I just prefer if you have something negative to say that you back it up and don't just say it looks like a snapshot.

The shot's especially interesting, because it's got everyone talking. Most people have highlighted aspects of the picture they don't like, which is fair - as mentioned, this is the critique forum and you can take it or leave it - please don't take it to heart as a personal attack eh?

So let's say something nice: I actually like the flash exposure on the subjects. It lends an ethereal quality to them which is further enhanced by the lack of DOF when it was shot. I've just though B&W as well, would that be a "good thing"?

Ok, that's the good news, let's now have some critique which you may agree or otherwise with:

The blurring of the background is quite frankly a bit clumsy - it's apparant from the areas you haven't blurred - the boot lid, bark chippings, black separator and the bit around her hair. I would advise either setting the aperture suitably low, or improving PS or other manipulation technique to make this more subtle. Because you've blurred it, you evidently recognise the need to use focus to highlight your subject - IMO it would be preferable to use the camera's capability to achieve this.

If you are attempting to convey a message or make a statement with this picture then I'm missing it. Were they, as the title implies, up to some kind of sapphic mischief in the boot (trunk)? I suppose this is a possible message - but it doesn't look too much like they were enjoying it, as their facial expressions are kind of... well.. sulky? Perhaps the objective was a kind of moody sultry look, but no, it's definitely coming across as sulking to me.

I really would like to know what you set out to achieve with the picture, who was it destined to be viewed by, what were you attempting to portray and why? If you don't have an answer to those questions, then the snapshot comments hold true perhaps.

For what it's worth, I don't see a snapshot. I see a picture which doesn't communicate an objective or a context. Snapshots to my mind are meant to be viewed by the person who took them, as opposed to finished works which are for the world (or subset thereof) to see.

I want to understand your picture, and I (probably the others too) would appreciate a further insight into what you were thinking.

I shall end with a quote which may well have been from Lord Chesterfield: "Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least."

Rob

mcb said:
sorry, but it works a lot better if you are looking to get critique and advice if you kindly take the advice, whether it pleases you or not.

yep.

about the shot. i agree with the 'snapshot' thing, and i'll explain why. first, it looks like you didnt think about anything besides the subject/content (composition, angle, pose, expressions). I dont see a 'you caught us' look, more like 'she's drunk and i'm pissed'. i like the color, but it's too unorganized. it's quite distracting from the subject. the lighting is too direct, it doesnt even look like you were hiding from anyone. it looks like your right smack in the middle of a park or something. also, the PS work seems a little sloppy, especially the blurred background (i assume you did that to acheive shallower DoF). i wouldnt judge your photograph's technical and artistic quality by the people on deviantart, if that is the gallery you're speaking of. That's one reason i never joined deviant art, unless you get in really talented 'groups' of people, you never get any good feedback.

that could be a nice idea, i say reshoot (if you care about the subject enough) and do it like in an alley or against a wall...somewhere hidden.

I am useless at the technical side of photography so I won't even try that I'll just comment on what I see. I am assuming this photo is meant to be sexual with a hint of shock horror lesbianism in public feel. I can tell that vibe but to me it doesn't quite work. The girl on the bottom has a sultry rock chic look in her eyes perhaps thinking what are you looking at? The girl on top to me feels very scared of the camera and the people looking on she is almost hiding behind the other girl. They don't seem connected and I don't feel any air of love/lust between the two. I think a reshoot is a great idea as the concept has potential. I think the positioning is off it says to me "mothering" which is not sexy at all... If you want the shock factor you need the girls to ooze more lust and look like they are really into it. I'm probably way off the mark but thats what I see...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back