"You don't need that, people produce great quality films with an Iphone"

Michael Robinson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm interested in being able to have the equipment to be able to handle two camera interviews with decent quality, so I looked up prices. I already own a couple of lights, a Canon 60D and some other accessories. I put the minimum additional cost of equipment I needed at $3,089.84.
This covers:
Canon 70D (I like having DSLR over camcorder because I take photos a lot)
An Azden lapel mic and a cheaper Polsen set
7" View Monitor to hook up to the DSLR
Eyecup viewfinder to go over the built-in DSLR screen
Decent video tripod
70-200mm lens (Doubling up, so I can have it for photography)
An extra SD Card
A pelican case, so I didn't have to baby equipment
Tascam portable 2-channel recorder
Multi-hot shoe mount

And this equipment would be a joke to professionals....

Of course, the equipment needs to be in the hands of somebody who can use it.

Anybody ever give you'll the stink like this?

I have a 70d and I have no complaints at all with it. as for the 7" View Monitor you can use a tablet as a monitor which could save you some cash. the one thing I wouldn't skimp on is the mics, you can have the prettiest video ruined if the audio is bad. check these mics out they are a little bit more pricy but I feel worth it Audio-Technica System 10 - Camera-Mount Digital ATW-1701 B H also Rode has some wireless lavs coming out in march that might be a good buy.

My question is why do you need the 70D, are you upgrading the 60D and the 60D would be your backup? If you are shooting mostly video 1080 is 1080 on every body. A used 7D or even a T3 would work for video. But like @scoop2622 said don't cheap out on audio.

1. Don't skimp on the audio. The intent of interviews is to hear what this person has to say.

2. Be careful with using 2 different camera models for the same shot. You will have to make sure the color, WB, quality and frame rate are all the same. Differences in the look of the shot will be jarring.

3. Skip the LCD and EFV. Once you have focus locked (manually) and a generous DOF you won't have to worry. I have an LCD screen that I NEVER use. This is a static shot that won't change for the length of the interview.

1. Don't skimp on the audio. The intent of interviews is to hear what this person has to say.

2. Be careful with using 2 different camera models for the same shot. You will have to make sure the color, WB, quality and frame rate are all the same. Differences in the look of the shot will be jarring.

3. Skip the LCD and EFV. Once you have focus locked (manually) and a generous DOF you won't have to worry. I have an LCD screen that I NEVER use. This is a static shot that won't change for the length of the interview.

I really don't see a problem with #2. The Canon 60D and 70D should be near identical if set the same and any difference will be so minute he should be able to color correct and/or grade with minimal effort.

I myself use a 60D and T3i and have very rarely noticed any considerable difference with similar settings. And like I said, whatever difference there may have been, I've been able to correct easily with CC/Grading.

I really don't see a problem with #2. The Canon 60D and 70D should be near identical if set the same and any difference will be so minute he should be able to color correct and/or grade with minimal effort.

I myself use a 60D and T3i and have very rarely noticed any considerable difference with similar settings. And like I said, whatever difference there may have been, I've been able to correct easily with CC/Grading.

If you shoot with very neutral settings you might get close. I do believe there is a codec difference but I could be wrong.

If you shoot with very neutral settings you might get close. I do believe there is a codec difference but I could be wrong.

Majority of the time I am shooting with the cinestyle profile on both cameras, so yes, I am indeed shooting very neutral.

Majority of the time I am shooting with the cinestyle profile on both cameras, so yes, I am indeed shooting very neutral.

I tried that and wasn't super happy with it. I've found that going even less on some of settings really flattens things out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back