You just happen to be there, waiting for me

iBats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4345118772_e57a27b52c.jpg

What do you think, came home from school today and saw this just sitting in the snow, must have been there when it started, anyway i thought the scene was beautiful, do you think i did a good enough job capturing it?

Honestly? No. I assume your subject is the flower, which is hardly a quarter of the composition. That means that three quarters of the picture is dead space. Also it apears to be underexposed which makes snow look drab, dreary and gray. If you found the dried flower beautiful, try to make it the dominant element of the composition. Get down on your knees and fill the frame with your subject. I dont know the circumstances but could it be re-shot with some nice evening or morning light? After all the word photography means light writing, so get some light on the subject.
Hope this helps...JSD

Honestly? No. I assume your subject is the flower, which is hardly a quarter of the composition. That means that three quarters of the picture is dead space. Also it apears to be underexposed which makes snow look drab, dreary and gray. If you found the dried flower beautiful, try to make it the dominant element of the composition. Get down on your knees and fill the frame with your subject. I dont know the circumstances but could it be re-shot with some nice evening or morning light? After all the word photography means light writing, so get some light on the subject.
Hope this helps...JSD

subject is not only the flower, look harder next time, and the colors are supposed to be faded

I think you did ok here. First one learns the rules and then when it's appropriate - you break them. I see what you were going for and the muting and dead space works here. With that being said, I personally would have moved the subjects a little more in toward center. You could still have kept a decent amount of open space on the left and all would be good.

Keep following your own vision.

Besides the flower and seed pod thing what did I not see?

Maybe a lil' editing?

4345118772_e57a27b52c.jpg

i had this exact edit on my own comp lol,

i just thought it brought to much attention to the flower with the brighter orange, but i still like it

too much attention to the flower? where were you wanting the attention? the brown snow? I agree too much dead space, the edit helps the color, but the picture itself doesnt do anything for me.

I get what you were going for and I think it works and is quite beautiful in its own way, but its still never going to be an amazing photograph. I think you should be happy with it though.

IMO, this would have worked better if it was in Portrait rather than Landscape.

IMO, this would have worked better if it was in Portrait rather than Landscape.

ok, ok i see where this would make sense

although i am disappointed, my subject has been buried, yet another storm has hit the mid-atlantic, sooooo lol

I kinda like it. I think it needs a little compositional help. Perhaps a little rotating to make it work better. I think it has an interesting Japanese feel to it.

Hey, iBats...When people give suggestions, it's great to see that the OP listened, and gave them a try whenever possible. Did you try any different compositions with this image, or are you done with it and moved on?

I hate to say it, but I love the subject here. I love the "off" color. I don't even mind it being soft. I played around and here is what I came up with:

Edit2.jpg

I sized it up, so now it's even worse as far as quality.

iBats, I'd like to hear what you think, as well as anyone else. I am still working on composition myself, and I like seeing what I can do with other peoples shots.

For anyone wanting to blow up pictures with minimal quality loss, genuine fractals plugin for photoshop does the trick.

flower1.jpg

As for the photo, it's pretty... a bit two-dimensional, but that's not a bad thing.

Most reactions

Back