You Know It's Kind Of Funny

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You know it's kind of funny when you think of all the angst people have about using P or Auto mode or sometimes even Matrix metering but not a word is said about using iTTL or eTTL or really even Auto for their flash work.

Does the elitism end where the work begins? :lmao:

You know it's kind of funny when you think of all the angst people have about using P or Auto mode or sometimes even Matrix metering but not a word is said about using iTTL or eTTL or really even Auto for their flash work.

Does the elitism end where the work begins? :lmao:

Also not a word about the mirror automatically swinging out of the way or the lens automatically stopping down. Yesterday's "Gee whiz, that's amazing" is today's SOP.

There's absolutely nothing wrong about automation if it helps you produce the photo that you want.

I honestly don't see that much difference between P mode or Aperture priority or Speed priority. I don't know about other cameras but to me it's like being able to quickly switching back and forth.

I still use mostly aperture priority and full manual...

I honestly don't see that much difference between P mode or Aperture priority or Speed priority. I don't know about other cameras but to me it's like being able to quickly switching back and forth.

I still use mostly aperture priority and full manual...

I second that

Haha I'm baffled by people that have photo-angst anyway. Like the point of creating art is to be irritated by those that do things differently???

:scratch:

I have a theory and where my angst comes from. P/Auto takes away aperture control. It's the only setting on the camera that removes a possible element of composition from the hands of the photographer. That's my thought anyway.

Personally I haven't switched my D200 out of matrix mode. I've learnt how it behaves and can compensate it's stuff ups before firing a test shot.

But how do you compensate for Program mode? Easy Switch to Aperture Priority :p

^^^^ My view won't change, no point in arguing with me. You don't need to accept this as your view just don't tell me I'm wrong.

I have a theory and where my angst comes from. P/Auto takes away aperture control. It's the only setting on the camera that removes a possible element of composition from the hands of the photographer. That's my thought anyway.

Maybe your P mode is different than mine. On my GX-10 in p-mode the front weel selects the Aperture and the back one the speed. Whichever one you use last becomes the priority and the other settings adapt.

I feel like there has to be another difference though, but i haven't figured out what it is.

^^ I'm always satisfied with the best.

The best happens to be what works best for your particular needs.

Nothing wrong with that.

But ... but... P (at least on my Canons) allows you to select aperture...

;)

All tools folks....

On Canon DSLRs, P, Av and Tv all use the same metering. All allow you to select aperture and shutter. So the results will be the same, unless you do not ever override the cameras choice (program shift). So using Av mode and choose f/8, or P mode and spin the wheel to f/8, they are the same, and will use identical shutter speeds.
I use P mode 90% of the time, except for flash (where I manually set aperture and shutter, but the flash exposure is still auto of course).
The remaining 10% are mostly M mode, having chosen the shutter/aperture by aiming the camera at something (gray card, grass, road) to choose the settings.
Of course there are exceptions, but I never get why the big debate about what mode. In most cases they use the same metering algorithms anyways.

So (to but in and ask a really simple question) if I am using a canon and I shift from Av to p mode - what is the difference?

But ... but... P (at least on my Canons) allows you to select aperture...

;)

All tools folks....

Yeah they do on the Nikons too. I point my camera outside and it gives me something like 1/500 f/8, if I turn the wheel it switches to P* and gives me options like 1/250 f/11 or 1/1000 f/5.6, but the aperture is never locked in place. So when I go into the shade suddenly the camera feels like it can't give an acceptable shutter at f/8 anymore and drops me to f/4.5.
But when I select an aperture I damn well mean it. :lol: Maybe it's just Nikon shenanigans. But in A mode it doesn't matter how dark or light it will get, I am the one that changes the aperture and thus the depth of field, not the camera.

So (to but in and ask a really simple question) if I am using a canon and I shift from Av to p mode - what is the difference?

When in Av mode, you select the aperture you want, and the camera calculates the shutter speed required. In Tv mode, you choose the shutter speed and the camera chooses the aperture. My point was that the calculations are based on the same metering, so the exposure will be the same either way. And in both modes, you can spin the wheel to select a different value, and the camera will adjust the other. But because it is based on the same metering, the exposure will always be identical. Which mode makes more sense depends on the situation - Tv is handy for example at a race where shutter speed is more critical than aperture. Portrait shooters might prefer Av mode though, where aperture (and DOF) are more critical. But neither will give better results - you can get the same results exactly using the wheel (and the same combinations will be available in P mode). All 3 are useful, but none will give you better exposure than another.

Mike_E, I do see where your question comes from, for while I am shooting fully manually in daylight, I still haven't grasped the concept of using flash manually at all! So yes, maybe you are right: "elitism ends where the work begins" ;). For it is quite some hard work (for me!) to set my Speedlite right manually. Not only is it hard work, true fact is: I haven't got a clue as to how to properly set it, which is why when using the Speedlite I happily fall back onto fully automated help by that flash!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back