You know this lens?

kinoflex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
5459824187_bcb2bf5e43_z.jpg

Yes that's one of three aperture scales. I think it relates to using just the front cell, both front and rear unscrew...front 9 1/2" rear 8". Has ~15 blade i/d. And it's old. Mid/late 19th century

Last edited:
Yes that's one of three aperture scales. I think it relates to using just the front cell, both front and rear unscrew...front 9 1/2" rear 8". Has ~15 blade i/d. And it's old. Mid/late 19th century

Any markings at all on it? Most likely for the old studio cameras. Could be a soft focus lens, pretty much sought after by portrait photographers.

Improvised mount: 1880's lens onto digital (t-mount tube from a 400mm coupled together with an inverted 46mm metal, RF lens shade). Registration distance roughly accurate (with some stopping-down). I'll experiment with adjustment and hopefully make some pictures in daylight tomorrow..flowers or something :))

5460736314_6e68652b70_z.jpg

5460130361_3c3763e6d8_z.jpg

5460736212_249bb6262a_z.jpg

5460130247_ecc78d1973_z.jpg

I was just playing around, wondering if someone would ID it :). It's a W.Watson & Sons 5" Holos Wide Angle lens, produced between 1883 and 1907.

Any markings at all on it? Most likely for the old studio cameras. Could be a soft focus lens, pretty much sought after by portrait photographers.

I was just playing around, wondering if someone would ID it :). It's a W.Watson & Sons 5" Holos Wide Angle lens, produced between 1883 and 1907.

Ha ha... Playing around? OK, I'll play. What was the selling price of this lens when it was first released? LOL (I do happen to know, I am that old...) :lol:

You too? I used to drink with Daguerre in the Follies Bergere.
The price hmmm let me think, it was a while back......three Shillings (and you got a bag of toffees as change)

:lmao: Yeah, I remember the good ol' days... And you're spot on! Carry on, mate.

BTW, this lens will cover slightly more than 8x10.

I'm at your website. Really good !

Thanks Kino!

To reply to your other post, I think the lens would cover 11x14 so, yeah, it could be classified as an ULF lens. I am not sure but I know it will cover a bit more than 8x10.

You should be able to process it. It's not very hard, perhaps a little harder than 120 and 35mm formats because I have done it in an open tray in total darkness and with a metronome set at 60bps so I can count the minutes and seconds. I have processed a few 8x10 sheets and more 4x5. For the 4x5 I use a set of tubes called BTZS and sold by a friend of mine at the View Camera Sore (online). I like these tubes and developing with them, always the same results if processed correctly.

Glad you joined APUG. It's a great place to ask questions and find answers. I should visit there more often, haven't been there in a while.

Those tubes look great. Thanks for the link.

You're very welcome. If you watch the demo video you'll see me playing the violin for Mr. Fred Newman, the owner. LOL Cover your ears!!!

Most reactions

Back