You know what I'd like to see on a camera?

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most of today's cameras know what orientation your camera is in, but wouldn't it be nice if they would put an indicator in the viewfinder to tell you when you camera was level? I have a nasty habit of holding the right side of my camera higher than the left, for whatever reason-didn't notice until I came here and got slammed repeatedly for slanted horizons, but I'd like an indicator to remind me when I'm being brain-dead.

You could buy a keychain sized level, and put it on top of the camera when you are concerned about the horizon. but if it was built in it would definitely be cool.

Agreed, a good idea. Even my cell phone has an accelerometer in it and has a level program, so the electronics should be getting cheap enough for this to happen.

You could buy a keychain sized level, and put it on top of the camera when you are concerned about the horizon. but if it was built in it would definitely be cool.

I'd like it in the viewfinder like the under/overexposure meter in my Nikon.

Some cameras like my D200 have a grid display which can be turned on in the viewfinder. I guess the level would be nice though if you do not have a level horizon to line the photo up to. But a question is where would you put it. The D200 in my opinion already provides information overload in the viewfinder. I would be happier if it showed ISO without me having to specifically hit the ISO button, rather than showing the white balance which I never change or play with anyway.

Why aren't these things more configurable !

The new Olympus E-30 has this.

The E-30 is equipped with an internal Digital Level Sensor that detects the camera’s pitch and roll and indicates it in the optical viewfinder on the control panel, and during Live View operation. This Digital Leveler is a tremendous benefit to landscape and architectural photographers who must ensure that images they take of scenes or buildings are as true as the walls of the buildings themselves. Rather than spend time rotating an image in computer software, you can use the new camera’s Digital Leveler to make sure your subjects are where they should be in the frame.

Awesome! That means that others will soon follow suit.

Oh yeah... Of course the D700 has it too. I remember activating it once on the lcd and almost fooling a new coworker into thinking that it was a hidden flight simulator game. Oh god we laughed at him.

lol to the post above. And I don't think my d90 has this in it like apparently the d700.

I'd like to see the function on every day cameras and not just what amounts to fantasy cameras for most photo enthusiasts... The D700 is not realistic for most people, nor justified.

Most reactions

Back