You know when you have one of those days...

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by bigtwinky, Jul 3, 2010.

1. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was walking with a photo friend taking shots in Old Montreal (I posted another thread here with an image from the start of our walk). After a few hours, we were losing inspiration, but there kept being something a little further down that peeked our interest.

So after 5 hours of walking, we ended up near one of the bigger bridges in Montreal, the Jacques-Cartier, at sunset. The first side we saw was dull and boring, grey, flat light.

So we walked to the other side and got this (20 secs of processing here, the rainbow just happened to show for a few seconds... I have pics of it, my friend doesnt lol)

Thoughts and CC are welcome

[​IMG]

2. JohnnyL

JohnnyL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is great! I've had one of those days too. Nice composition.

3. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Johnny

4. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The best part of this thread and I bet your walk, is having a friend along who has the same interests. PRICELESS!

I think that fellow forum members who have been habitating this forum generally become more critical of their own work. Which can lead to becoming more picky about the location/subject they are working with. Sometimes we miss the trees for the forest and will miss opportunities right under our noses. We are looking for the "HomeRun" shot with every shot we take.

Your image is okay. The wires are distracting, and I think that you could crop the bottom of the image, entirely taking the river out of the image. The far shore line is half silhouette and half not...it needs some treatment. I would also work on the sky, although I cannot specifically say how. Just move sliders around until it pops some.

I give you a lot of credit for not giving up on the night as you spent all that time walking.
    One of your walks will result in the image we are all striving for!!!

5. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very good points Pierre, thanks for taking the time.

My friend did PS out the wires in his image, and the image is nicer for it. I guess you can call it lazyness. I like the image and the colour I took, but don't feel that removing the wires would make this a sure winner, so I fall into my lazyness and just move on to the next hahaha.

I do have this image flagged for future processing though (part of my workflow, some are worked on now, others are flagged for later work). I do this when I have some downtime and can spend more time on non-urgent or client related images. I'll definately take your thoughts into consideration when working on it some more. There are parts of it that I dont like.

I do have 3 exposures that I could try working into an HDR, which might solve the odd looking shoreline. Hmmm... :)

Thanks again for the comments :D

6. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

Nice, good perspective. I agree with cropping some off the bottom instead of trying to salvage it. I would consider trying to clone out the wires but it would be tough...