You need to talk me out of it

Why stop at the D300? You're just gonna want to upgrade that :lol:

Why stop at the D300? You're just gonna want to upgrade that :lol:

I think the D300 is a good stopping point if your a hobbyist..... unless your making your money back at some point the hobbyist has to factor in depreciation of keeping up with new models.... since it's a complete redesign from the D200 I can image the D400 being a rather sundry update...

I am curious though what the D700 will be worth in a year.... maybe $2200?

I have a d80 and it's perfect for me but I would love to have a d300 for the speed and the higher iso settings but I not even using all of the d80 so I would say glass and tripod.

Don't forget that your d40x focus motor is in the lense and d300 focus motor is in the body. You have to keep in mind that when you buy new lenses which camera you will be buying them for the d40 or the d300.

I know the lenses that fit the d300 will fit the d40 but you may have to use manual focus.

Hope this helps!

I have a d80 and it's perfect for me but I would love to have a d300 for the speed and the higher iso settings but I not even using all of the d80 so I would say glass and tripod.

Don't forget that your d40x focus motor is in the lense and d300 focus motor is in the body. You have to keep in mind that when you buy new lenses which camera you will be buying them for the d40 or the d300.

I know the lenses that fit the d300 will fit the d40 but you may have to use manual focus.

Hope this helps!

He already has the D40x... I think by this point he should be aware of it's focusing restrictions..

No way would I try to talk you out of the D300.

If you're becoming a serious photographer - which you obviously are - and you've already handled a D300 (you have, haven't you?) then you already know the difference.

It just feels like a real camera instead of a mini version of one. (Not knocking the D40. It's a cute little starter. But it ain't no D300. Or even a D80!)

My feeling is that the sooner you get accustomed to using high quality tools, the sooner you can begin to forget about equipment limitations (real or imagined) and get on with the joy of being a photographer.

Better glass? Yes, always, strive for better glass.
Other equipment (tripods, etc.)? Of course.

But for most of us it's about the quality of the experience as much as anything else. So ... if YOU feel that a D300 will enhance YOUR experience, go for it!

Two different camps here, and the larger camp is saying what my head says, the smaller saying what my heart says,

Mr Head says lenses and a tripod - and the beauty of owning a "cheap plastic toy" (sorry Bifurcator, couldn't resist it ;)) is that it can be replaced at a whim should something happen. However Mr Heart says buy the D300 - now. Mr Head says that there's no point buying it until I have the necessary equipment and skill to make use of it. I think Mr Head has a point here.

You've given me food for thought here. I think I've decided to run a few more months with the D40x, learn my technique and style, and then see how I feel - in the meantime that allows me to put the money into, or at least think about, other lenses and a tripod.

It doesn't stop the desire for a D300 however. If you know what I mean ;)

Thanks all

IMO the D300 is kinda overkill for most folks. D200 is better bang/buck unless you desperately need that tiny boost in megapixels, frame rate, or the 61" LCD on the D300 so you can watch football. <sic>

I really hate the D40s, and the D40X gauls me because its like far too close to the same price as a D80 and isn't nearly as good of a camera... that being said, again... there's nothing "wrong" with it, really. (cough, gag, choke, wheeze)

BTW, I do run a D300 myself... have used a D200 extensively and own a D100. I've also used the D80, D60 and D40 quite a bit. I only bought the D300 because I make money with it so it was very easy to justify the extra $600. Otherwise, I would have gone with the D200. It's an excellent camera.

I really hate the D40s, and the D40X gauls me because its like far too close to the same price as a D80

Really? Over here the D60 sells for around 800 franks, the D80 is around 1500, and the d300 2600 (just body). Given that the exchange rate between the Swiss Frank and the dollar is pretty much 1:1 at the moment you can read those numbers as dollars

Really? Over here the D60 sells for around 800 franks, the D80 is around 1500, and the d300 2600 (just body). Given that the exchange rate between the Swiss Frank and the dollar is pretty much 1:1 at the moment you can read those numbers as dollars

hm, no... I take it back. Weird. When I had looked before I could have SWORN that the kit with the D40X and the 18-135 lens was nearly the same cost as the D80... but now I look and I see that I was so very wrong.

Odd.

Never mind.

I still hate the D40s though. :)

If you have the money, buy the better camera. Why even ask? Its your money, you earned it....spend it however you want. Just remember, it won't necessarily produce better photos. I started with a Rebel XTi, 3 months later I bought a 40D because the rebel line felt cheap and the controls were not all that convienient. Now I want a 5D, but am waiting to see what the mark II may have to offer. (my 40D is now only 2 months old). I have my reasons (wide angle) for wanting to go 5D, but I'll be damned if someone else will talk me out of how I spend my money....other than my wife.

Derrick

I'll knock the d40. With pleasure! What on Earth was Nikon thinking? My lego set is built better! I have socks with more functionality! I think they should give d40's away free with every carton of cigarettes... It lasts about the same length of time as a lighter and you'll smoke less. The D40 is the reason there are "Don't Touch" signs in camera shops - just picking it up could break it. Your D40 is so fat that when she lays around the house; she lays AROUND the house. Oops wrong bad joke... we were talking about the D40!

:D

I'll knock the d40. With pleasure! What on Earth was Nikon thinking? My lego set is built better! I have socks with more functionality! I think they should give d40's away free with every carton of cigarettes... It lasts about the same length of time as a lighter and you'll smoke less. The D40 is the reason there are "Don't Touch" signs in camera shops - just picking it up could break it. Your D40 is so fat that when she lays around the house; she lays AROUND the house. Oops wrong bad joke... we were talking about the D40!

:D

baaahhaaaaaa!!!!

I think you were molested by a pack of D40's as a child....

There are many many D40 owners on this forum.... If your ASSertion of careless build quality of the D40 is true why do we not see a plethora of complaint threads by users??

:lol:

Most reactions

Back