You think you're dedicated to the art?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just how far will you go to get the shot!
Does the idea of a wedding fill you with fear or is it a walk in the park?
What about crawling through mud, rain and unmentinables to get that low down capture of the jumping horses at the races just "another day in the office"
Or even battling all the elements, hiking for miles to get to that one spot, on that one day when the light is right to get that one scenic exposure.

Well some photographers do go that extra mile
Photographer captures amazing images of lions at watering hole after submerging himself for three months | Mail Online

So how far would you go to get the shot or have you already been and captured it!

Saw this in the Independant on Saturday, also got the bbc wildlife mag. Great read..

Ooops.... I totally forgot war; disaster; riot heck most of photo journalism! Sorry!

I guess though I was thinking more with my wildlife mind at the time - certainly the illnesses he contracted as a result make it one of the more extreme situations (though I am sure there are far more extreme)

Nothing to be sorry about. Being really dedicated to the art can be interpreted so many different ways.

What about the artist who would rather starve than compromise his vision? They still exist today.

Here's a bit of the back story about Stanley Kubric's behind the scenes efforts to get an
f/0.7 still photography lens fitted to a non-reflex Mitchell 35mm motion picture camera so that he could make a film unlike any other film ever made. A tremendous amount of work was needed to create the *very unusual* "look" of ultra-shallow depth of field and totally naturally candle-lighted effects inside of old European castles in Kubricks amazing film Barry Lyndon.

Untitled Document

This is a case of a director with a vision going out and procuring equipment and actually creating an entirely new, previously never before possible type of cinematopgrapy look. The movie is fun to watch...all the bokeh fans ought to get a charge out of the way Kubrick shot scenes to emphasize the unusual optical properties of an uber-speed lens used without ANY fill lighting, in an industry where there are often five or more men assigned to rig-up the lighting for each scene.

They're nice shots, but not worth the health problems he suffered and probably will have the rest of his life.

I bet he'll be glad when somebody invents a remote control tripod and a camera with autofocus and remote shutter release that can be used from a safe distance. :er:

Last edited:
I'm sure some wildlifers are already using such setups in the field for their work. Tripcameras are already used a lot for capturing record (low and high quality) images of very elusive and often dangerous animals.
Full remote controls these days are only limited by ones budget and technical skills and tools

Hell yeah for Du Toit! I am sure if he knew he was going to be in the water then he would have come more prepared. Possibly he was unaware of the dangers of spending 3 hours in the water.

In any case I would have done the same thing with no regrets. Capturing the image means that much to me. I would put my self in danger for a photo without a second thought. Somehow in my long photo life I have never even come close to danger. Being hit by a bum, surrounded by horses and weak ladders is all I have.

I smell a new thread...

Love & Bass

Maybe a dry suit next time?
They are nice shots, I'm just not sure I would do it that way.

I have been struggling a bit lately with where I stop the car in traffic in order to get a shot I've seen or want.
I see many of the shots I want, while driving the Northern VA roads, so stopping always has an element of danger to it.

Not in the same class as Du Toit or Cloudwalker, but so far, that's the extent of my danger. And to my amazement and shock, my willingness to take traffic chances seems to be growing.

This far, I guess I'm not that dedicated.

4364945733_4487382f04_b.jpg

4364932589_7cd3eda033_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back