Young aspiring photog - with my story :) ps. I'm from Seattle !

KayceJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there everyone !

I figured I get my foot in, in some kind of photography forum so I can help my art.
I joined to learn from others, find answers, network, share my work, and view others' work as well.
I don't expect everyone to read this, but I feel like I should make a proper introduction.

Let me start off with my name...
My name is Kayce (kc) I am twenty-one years old. I have two children, Kaihri(2 years old) and Kaihsyn(1 month old).
I am practically married (just not officially lol) I have been with my partner for over three years now.
I have recently decided to be a stay at home mother, I feel that it is my duty to be there for my children and be the
one to raise them and not some daycare or other relative. I last worked as lead counter at Panda Express (my first
actual job). I was born in the Philippines. But lived in America since I was two years old.
I grew up in Seattle but now
I currently reside in the valley of Puyallup, WA with my family.

I first started in photography during my sophomore year of high school. I didn't sign up for any electives so I was
put into beginner's photography. The teacher, seemed like a total um...how you say..not my favorite teacher. I wasn't
thrilled to be in the class, but I figured to give it a go since I was so vain at the time, I carried my little sony-cybershot
every where with me to take selfies and capture moments with my friends, I thought I could use the tips.
When I started paying attention in class, I was
interested, I loved it. I loved viewing the work produced by functions of cameras that I had no idea existed.

Junior year, I was signed up for Advanced Photography, feeling pretty awesome that I decided to continue. My teacher (same from the previous year), I warmed up to. I actually think I became
one of his more preferred students. When we were checking out cameras for the trimester, most of the students got some bulky canon point and shoot with manual mode. I don't recall what
type of camera it was. As for me, I got to borrow one of the two dslr's available for students. It was a Canon XSi. I was so obsessed with photography, I begged my parents and relatives
to invest in a dslr for me. That never happened...totally knew it was a long shot for how much just an entry-level dslr would be for just sixteen year old me. I began to be inspired by my photography
teacher, he praised my work, and it made me confident that one day I could do something with it.

As for Senior year, I was not able to take photography class because I had to finish up my credits for graduation. That's when the flame died out, I figured because I had a lame point and shoot, I
couldn't take beautiful photos. I just fantasized about the day I would be able to pay for a dslr on my own.

Fast forward to now, I was inspired by my children and my new found role as a stay at home mom to invest into some photography equipment. Now that I am an adult, I had a credit card to help me
take the blow off the finances of funding this hobby, which I hope to make a career out of. I tried college, majored in psychology, bombed it. I just didn't have the drive for it. I feel that I am equipped
with entry-level lenses and camera to start me into this world. Everyday I am researching techniques and watching youtube videos to help me learn more. I wanted to reconnect to what I've learned
during the classes I took in high school. I am working on a portfolio with all kinds of different photography to help share my work with others so they are willing to work with me. I am interested in
portrait photography mostly, couples, children, and maternity. I have not found my specialty and I hope to discover it.

I hope to make my own business with photography, I dream of the day to be my own boss.
I swear I am not meant to work under someone for the rest of my life.
With that said, I look forward to being a part of this forum and growing as a photographer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Welcome aboard.

Though I am not a pro, I've consistently see this advise from those that really are:

1. Learn how to take and use (sometimes brutal) C&C from people you do not know
2. Learn the craft (very important)
3. Learn how to run a business (much more important)

EDIT:
4. Bacon.
5. Kitties.

The last two are obviously the most important of all. ;)

Welcome aboard.

Though I am not a pro, I've consistently see this advise from those that really are:

1. Learn how to take and use (sometimes brutal) C&C from people you do not know
2. Learn the craft (very important)
3. Learn how to run a business (much more important)

EDIT:
4. Bacon.
5. Kitties.

The last two are obviously the most important of all. ;)

This is pretty sound advice for success on this forum. However with one caveat...if you don't have a cat, a dog will do.

Welcome. Much respect to those members of the forum not from the Pacific Northwest that can say your town'a name. My sister and her family live there and we visit them often, including this weekend.

Welcome. Much respect to those members of the forum not from the Pacific Northwest that can say your town'a name. My sister and her family live there and we visit them often, including this weekend.

That's easy. It's pronounced bob. Everything you can't pronounce is pronounced bob. Just ask Leanore. Which, curiously enough, is also pronounced bob. Lol

Hi kc, welcome aboard.

Welcome
And all that funky jazz.

My wife's name is Kasey. Funny how many different ways the same names are spelled.

:thumbup: Welcome to TPF! :camera:

As alluded to, the business of photography - customer development, marketing, promotion, sales, accounting, etc - accounts for about 75% of a photographer's time and effort.
Doing the pre process, actual photography, and the post process tasks needed to produce your product(s) account for the remaining 25% of a photographer's time and effort.

Welcome to the site.

Glad to have you here. Love the story and look forward to seeing you grow as a photographer and business woman.

Most reactions

Back