Your Experience with the Canon 24-105?

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. I am still finding my niche in the photography world and shoot a wide variety of subjects. I do many indoor shoots with infants and maternity clients (with lighting equipment) in the close quarters of their homes and outdoor shoots for most of my other clients (seniors, couples, families, children, some maternity and headshots) I will be shooting my first wedding for a friend this summer and wanted to upgrade to a versatile lens that would last and could work for many of my shoots. My budget for gear consists of the number of shoots I book and as you all know, it's very hard to find a great lens within a small budget. I am using an EFS 18-55 mainly and an EF 50. I also have an EF 75-300 that rarely gets used. They are all kit lenses and I've pushed them as far as they can go. My images aren't sharp enough and I am spending far too long in PS trying to fix that.
I am leaning towards paying the extra and buying it new just so I will have a full warranty and peace of mind that I know I bought new and I didn't buy a refurbished lens that went through a traumatic experience. Though I have been given many recommendations of credible refurbished canon dealers, so I may have to look into that. I found a great lens rental service but I'd much rather save the extra money towards purchasing this lens which is why I am asking for your reviews.

Up should spend some time working with that 75-300 for portraits. Try it at 85, 100, 135, 200 and see how you like it. (I say this because, there seem to be lots of big names that use the 70-200mm as their portrait "go-to" lens).

There is a world of difference in IQ between the 75-300 and the 70-200. The 24-105 has excellent IQ, but is a bit on the slow side, f4, for my tastes and needs.

Up should spend some time working with that 75-300 for portraits. Try it at 85, 100, 135, 200 and see how you like it. (I say this because, there seem to be lots of big names that use the 70-200mm as their portrait "go-to" lens).

I hate having to back way up when I want a full body shot and it has no image stabilization. With me working in such tight quarters most of the time, it's collecting dust.
I did use it to shoot a graduation ceremony and it did well. Just isn't being used, I'll probably hawk it and put that money towards the 24-105. Then set my sights on saving up for the 70-200 f/4L.
If you can afford it, and can save the extra money, I would shoot for the 70-200 f2.8L. II with IS. It is the sharpest of all of the 70-200 line.

Thanks for the suggestions! I finally took the leap and bought my 24-105 tonight!!! Now I'll just have to keep myself busy for the next few days while waiting for it to arrive.
I found it for a steal (or at least I think so!) brand new in the box with a 1 year Canon warranty for $709 with tax & shipping, comes with the lens hood & a lens case.
I was looking at buying refurbished but most of them were almost just as much as the one I found! I've been eye-balling this seller for quite some time and when it jumped up $20 in price I couldn't wait any longer. It is an authorized dealer & has great reviews on their service. Thanks for all the help guys!

Great all around lens. Have owned one a few times over the years. Only drawback is it's not 2.8 Only sold mine because I bought a 24-70 2.8 II.

Oh, and IS is not a needed thing. Sure, it helps sometimes, but it is not needed. Just shoot at a reasonable shutter speed and you'll have no issues. Non IS lenses have been used at weddings for decades.

Well you already bought it, but for other people, also note that you can get a used 28-135 IS USM for like $500 less than a used 24-105 IS USM.
Not as good of a lens, but more tele if you want that, and not nearly 3x worse as the price would suggest. Maybe 15% worse optics.

Well you already bought it, but for other people, also note that you can get a used 28-135 IS USM for like $500 less than a used 24-105 IS USM.

I'm just stuck on the 24-105 but I'm sure in a few months I'll have my eyes on something else, then I'll ask for even more lens reviews!haha

Great all around lens. Have owned one a few times over the years. Only drawback is it's not 2.8 Only sold mine because I bought a 24-70 2.8 II.

I was juggling between the two but the price difference & a few side by side tutorials swung me back to the 24-105. As of now the 24-105 is a huge step up from my gear.

I have used the 24-105 quite a bit and own the 24-70 f2.8II. The 24-105 is a well built, sharp, enjoyable lens to use. With what I shoot I have a need faster glass, thus my choice of the 24-70. I am sure that you will find the 24-105 to be a great lens. It is popular for it's build quality, IQ and price point. One of the overall best values in L glass Canon has to offer.

If you are interested here are some thoughts of 24-105 owners. FM Reviews - Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

The lens came today and I already think it was certainly worth every penny! It's been too damn cold and boring (as in nothing to shoot but snow and my neighbors car) to go outside for me lately but I did a few "still life" shots with various items in my home and I was very impressed! Yes, the extra stop would be great but considering I used the lens in very little light in the middle of my livingroom, it cranked out great results. I'll be shooting a beauty pageant next weekend and I can't wait to bring this bad-boy out with me. Thanks again for the reviews & suggestions. One happy camper here!

The lens came today and I already think it was certainly worth every penny! It's been too damn cold and boring (as in nothing to shoot but snow and my neighbors car) to go outside for me lately but I did a few "still life" shots with various items in my home and I was very impressed! Yes, the extra stop would be great but considering I used the lens in very little light in the middle of my livingroom, it cranked out great results. I'll be shooting a beauty pageant next weekend and I can't wait to bring this bad-boy out with me. Thanks again for the reviews & suggestions. One happy camper here!

Awesome, congrats and have fun!

Most reactions

Back