Your favorite Film

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by danalec99, Dec 14, 2004.

1. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Which is your favorite film (Color and Black & White)?

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Color would have to be velvia when I'm shooting landscapes and provia for everything else. Favorite black and white would be a toss up between HP5 and PANF.

3. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

velvia and panf as well...

md

4. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    film..what's that? :wink: I'm a sucker for fugi for color and ilford for B&amp;W.

5. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is fugi similar to fuji? ;)

6. Jamie R

Jamie R TPF Noob!

Favourite films have to be the ones by Kubrick, Preisman and the film noir set from France's 1960's starring Jean Luc Goddard. Danish films like Festen and obscure films generally make me rock. American film generally I pass by, especially if it comes from Hollywood or Disneyland, but once we all reach 16, you might feel that way too.

The other favourite films have to be everything that is already discontinued; Panatomic XX; Konica IR750; Kodak Ektar 25; Kodak Technical Pan; Agfa Ultra 50, Konica Impresa 50; Agfa APX25 in no particular order.

Next on the list are films which are about to be discontinued. I use what I can get and Ilford FP4+ is definitely up there. Pan F+ when I'm shooting small format (35mm) - ain't nothing as cheap nor as high quality like it anymore. Fuji slide film rule my roost too - Velvia is great when controlled properly, as is Velvia 100f although most people take issue with this. Provia is great for its contrast control, as is Astia, but both then to look thin and colourless at times. Agfa Scala is very good for portraiture and skin tones, especially in sheet format.

Oops...slight overkill maybe ;)

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fuji slide films, and various Polaroid films, for color. I agree with the B&amp;Ws mentioned. Love them all. :D

8. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Fuji Velvia for landscapes - Provia 100F for wildlife or if I need a bit more speed. Fuji Astia for colour portraits.

Don't really shoot enough Black and White to choose a fav, but I love the effect of Infra-red films on landscapes

9. will965

will965 TPF Noob!

Any Ilford B&amp;W - Probs Delta 400

10. John Orrell

John Orrell TPF Noob!

The Land of 365-day Winters:North West England :(
    I've heard good things about Delta 400. I'm looking forward to getting my first roll processed.

With colour print film, I can't differentiate between the characteristics of the D&amp;P lab and the film itself (if that makes sense). Regardless of what brand I use, all films processed at say Shop X look the same, and all films processed at Shop Y look the same. I think these days there aren't any "duff" films (at least none by the major players) and there's a more noticeable variance between output from different D&amp;P labs than there is from different films.

With slides, I like Fuji films for landscapes and outdoors, and Kodak films for portraits. I find Fuji films far too saturated for portraits: for example I have a few photos of my twin boys on their first birthday wearing red sweaters, and the sweaters literally scream out of the picture at you :shock: Great for landscapes though, especially on the (too numerous) dull and dismal days we get here in NW England. And that's just in Summer :lol:

I recently exposed my firstever roll of Konica slide-film. tomorrow I'm picking it up from the photolab. It will be interesting to see how the results compare with the films I'm used to shooting on.

11. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D'oh...DAMN LAZY FINGERS!!!!!!!!! :shock: :oops:

12. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Agfa for color prints