Your favorite medium format camera?

I would LOVE for the opportunity to find out if a 500 C/M would be my favorite :)

I would LOVE for the opportunity to find out if a 500 C/M would be my favorite :)

I fancy I know where you can find at least a half-dozen of 'em. Free for the taking. All you need to do is go pick 'em up.

I fancy I know where you can find at least a half-dozen of 'em. Free for the taking. All you need to do is go pick 'em up.
Taxi-fare might be a bit steep though...

Taxi-fare might be a bit steep though...

What am I missing? :boggled:
A free 500 C/M apparently! ;)

Well, obviously! :345: What reference am I missing?
The name Sparky mentioned might help, but think of a destination to which you might need to take a camera, but not bring it back because of say... "baggage restrictions".

The name Sparky mentioned might help, but think of a destination to which you might need to take a camera, but not bring it back because of say... "baggage restrictions".

Yes, I know about Elon Musk and his planned trip to Mars, but I just don't understand how that links to free Hasselblads. Is that because he's going to take some with them? Because that's what they used when going to the moon?

i-cannot-brain-today-i-has-the-dumb-cat.jpg

I've just handled the Hassy 500CM but I can't imagine anything that fit a hand like my pistol gripped Graflex XLRF, except for, maybe, a slender woman's waist.

Yes, I know about Elon Musk and his planned trip to Mars, but I just don't understand how that links to free Hasselblads. Is that because he's going to take some with them? Because that's what they used when going to the moon?

i-cannot-brain-today-i-has-the-dumb-cat.jpg

All 6 of the Apollo moon landings left at least one Hassy body (most left two) on the surface of the moon. The moonwalk(s) were done, and there were other cameras on the command module still in orbit. So the astronauts just ditched the Hassies on the surface of the moon in order to reduce lift-off weight of the lunar module's ascent stage. They removed the film backs first. Anything that didn't need to go back to earth (or at least the trip back up to the command/service modules) got left behind. They also tossed out their moon suits, garbage, and yes, even bags of poop.

So the cameras and lenses are still up there. Free for the taking.

Most reactions

Back