Your favorite wine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by danalec99, Mar 11, 2005.

1. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mine currently is Lindemans.

2. Nagala

Nagala TPF Noob!

Mad Dog 20/20........ What.

3. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mine would have to be c) none of the above

wine is terrible. if i wanted to drink wine, i would tip up the cups that hold the dye at easter that im using for the eggs...

:grumpy: :grumpy: :er: :er:

md

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dan, forgive my ignorance....Lindeman's....what?? Sounds more like a producer than a varietal.

Matt, you simply have not yet had a good glass of wine. I pour plonk down the drain, too, and I don't care if people gasp because it's sixty bucks a bottle. If it's overoaked and full of vanilla, to me that's plonk. :puke:

I'm a red wine slut. :sexywink: Cabernet, syrah, grenache, merlot, Rioja, and FAT spicy red zinfandel - oh, yum-yum. I like wine from areas in Italy - never met a super-Tuscan I didn't like. And I'm really developing a taste for CdP (French).

The only white I really like right now are Reislings, preferably from Germany and France. They have to be high in acidity and have some balance....I hate sweet, thin wines.

PS I also love good champagne - but that's harder. Good wines can be found in all prices ranges, yes; but for some reason the less expensive champanges are usually pretty bad. It's not fair. :lol:

5. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry... Lindemans is an Australian brand that I met recently :). I like their merlot.
    Cabernet, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir, chardonney fan here. :)

I was actually looking for brands/producer.

6. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

The only wine I've ever liked was the kind my grandpa made in a jar in his garage...tasted more like grapejuice really...other than that all alcoholic beverages are nasty IMO...bring on the Pepsi and Mtn Dew :)

7. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

ive tried just about everything...syrah, chiraz, merlot, sauvignon...they all suck the big one.

md

8. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yikes! :blulsh2: Forgot about pinot – how careless of me. One of my favorites, really. We’ve been enjoying Argyle, Siduri, and Dehlinger as our top picks. That’s sort of mailing list stuff, hard to find retail without paying a little too much. Well, maybe you can find the Argyle and Siduri fairly easily, and they’re worth a hunt. Just stick to Willamette Valley producers and you should do okay. This link: www.winesnw.com will be better than I at naming more producers.

As far as Italy goes….well, we’re sort of all over the place and try to buy from small producers our retail buddies recommend. Antinori used to be good, but frankly they sold out – instead of making smaller, high quality batches of wine, production is UP (due to demand) quality is down and the prices have exploded. :irked: I blame most of the world’s wine glut these days on Robert Mondavi. Everything he touches, it seems, the quality goes down while production goes up – and the prices DOUBLE, because his name used to mean something in California. Now his hand is global, and heavy.

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I will look out for that name. Thanks terri! :)

You seem to know everything about the global wine business :D.

10. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Mmmm. Champers. Personally I go for Taitinger. £35+ for their non-vintage but worth every penny. Heaven doesn't come any cheaper (unless I pop over to France on the ferry).

As to wine. There are one or two good Californians but I prefer French.
    A good Pouilly Fuisse or Margaux...

11. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

i had a pouilly fuisse once...nothing that a little antiboitic ointment didnt cure :):)

md

12. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bwahahahaha!! Not even close. But thank you. :) Willamette Valley is an appellation, or region, btw - not a producer. It's in Oregon. Pinot noir can be a fussy little grape, and for some reason it likes the area and those producers can put out killer stuff from there in a good year.