Your favourite photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitefly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rawmusicians.com
Who's your favourite photographer here on TPF, or anywhere else for that matter?

Mine has to be Digital Matt I think.. there are loads of superb photographers here at TPF but his stuff just amazes me.

Thank you Nitefly. That's very kind. There are so many guys that I regularly look for. Raymond J Barlow, Airic, Archangel, and of course Terri :)

I'm with Matt on this one: there are a lot of wonderful photographers on here, way too many to narrow it down. However, I always look with a keenly excited eye for those who don't post many images.

Of other photographers, I'd have to say my favorite is Ansel Adams--but only because of one specific photograph of his which I absolutely love: Trailer Camp Children. When I first saw this image in a book of his photographs, I stopped and stared for a long time... it fascinated me, and still does. If I could just get a print... :meh:

There are plenty of decent photogs here, but someone's work that almost always interests me is Tuna.

As far as famous photogs go right now I've been looking at a lot of Harry Callahan (always been a favorite), and Jeff Wall (my brother, a painter, recently turned me onto him).

Digital Matt said:
Thank you Nitefly. That's very kind. There are so many guys that I regularly look for. Raymond J Barlow, Airic, Archangel, and of course Terri :)
"...of course Terri".....:blushing: That made me say "wow". Thank you for the nod.

We really have a wealth of great photogs on this site. Everyone that's been mentioned so far here, and Matt mentioning Tuna, gets a :thumbup: from me as well. I love how different our approaches can be. Whenever Matt pulls out the Widelux, it's funny to see how many views he gets. We all know we're in for a treat. Same thing when Chiller goes out for a stroll. ;) I have a particular fondness for my fellow alt-geeks, JamesD working on the pinhole stuff and Charlie with his paper negative imagery, Jeff Canes shooting the color infrared film. Hard to get bored looking at everyone's stuff!

Cliched as it may sound, until I saw an exhibit of Ansel Adams prints, I never fully appreciated the mastery. Those prints glittered, they glowed. I walked out of there feeling like I'd seen the Holy Grail, or something. :lol: That sealed my desire to become better at silver gelatin printmaking, to try to understand the relationships of film/developer/paper/developer to come up with something beautiful.

I never get tired of looking at B&W prints and the masters of imagery - I could never really pick a favorite!

Lots of good photogs around there to may to name. Agree 100% with those already listed and I will add two more Daniel and thebeginning (also a Daniel).

JamesD said:
--- Trailer Camp Children. When I first saw this image in a book of his photographs, I stopped and stared for a long time... it fascinated me, and still does.----
Wow, James don’t think I have seen that one before? Assume they must be dust bowl refugees?

Wow... someone's fond of me and my pinholes... That almost makes me want to write another ode--large format. Woot!

A couple of photographers I'd forgotten... Peter J. Crowley and Gerard Buckleman for their BW photography (as well as color, but I'm a BW nut).

Crowley's images usually have beautifully crisp tones, and equally crisp expressiveness about them. It's a look I admire and would like to achieve myself.

Buckleman's images are entertaining and interesting. I always look forward to new images from him, for the simple fact that they get me thinking, wondering what it's going to be, what interesting angle on a subject that might be mundane, or might be fascinating, but an even more interesting perspective than I'd ever expect.

It's what they call "The Other Side." And the other side is good indeed.

Well I have to admit I do like the work of

Chiller (always totally amazing) ...
LaFoto (always something diffrent and always got a new angle) ....
Mentos_007 (manages to capture beautifully)
Mansi (Quality people pictures better than some of the pros)

There are too many to mention those I always look for in the galleries but recently the level of people has increased.

Oh and there is this one bloke that is exceptional ... You heard of Lensmeister ? ... ;) Just kidding !

here on tpf?? havent been here long enough to see much work from the talented people.
Otherwise, Doisneau, that guy was a photo MAKER, i swear to god, the way he found those moments, amazing

Luke said:
Otherwise, Doisneau, that guy was a photo MAKER, i swear to god, the way he found those moments, amazing

It turns out many of his "street photographs" were posed with hired models, so the moments were created rather than found. Not that that really lessens them as wonderful photographs. Late in his life he was dragged into court by a couple claiming to be the people kissing in the street in his famous photograph "The Kiss". They felt there were due part of the profits. He produced the actual models he hired, model releases, and the receipts for paying them as evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back