Your feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I did. I just have a very difficult time with the Holier than Thou attitude from some that have a hard time grasping the concept of a forum.

Oh yea.. and all of the moronic NOOBs that go PRO.. those overexposed, harshly lit shots of babies with skin tones that look like they died... those will be worth BILLIONS someday! Sure! Not even a comparison.....

Like this: hannah | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"By CGipson Photography" So based on an earlier example, name "followed by photography" is all it takes to be a professional.

Total hypocrisy. I knew it was just a matter of time before the trash talk started. Never fails.

hahaha... lets see I started shooting in 1966! First DSLR in 1976 (K1000). In 1984, after having people bug me for years about it... I went PRO with a total of 18 years of experience (eight years with a DSLR!) I had been second shooting weddings for about five years... and had been working labs off and on since High School! I no longer shoot professionally.. although I do have a business license.. and about $20,000 worth of gear!

Little bit of difference between me having CGIPSON PHOTOGRAPHY and some NOOB that has very little to no experience (self admitted) claiming to be a PRO!

So where is the HYPOCRISY?

Last edited by a moderator:

"By CGipson Photography" So based on an earlier example, name "followed by photography" is all it takes to be a professional.

hahaha... lets see I started shooting in 1966! First DSLR in 1976 (K1000). In 1984, after having people bug me for years about it... I went PRO with a total of 18 years of experience (eight years with a DSLR!) I had been second shooting weddings for about five years... and had been working labs off and on since High School! I no longer shoot professionally.. although I do have a business license.. and about $20,000 worth of gear!

Little bit of difference between me having CGIPSON PHOTOGRAPHY and some NOOB that has very little to no experience (self admitted) claiming to be a PRO!

Typical comment. You have absolutely no idea what my experience is, what I have for equipment or anything about me, yet you can make an intelligent decision about me and my ability. Wow, you are really good. I am impressed.

OP - one person nailed it - you are charging too much and too little.

When you charge the prices you do, you undercut the industry you love and want to be a part of. Its bad business practice, and will hurt you in the end.
When you charge the prices you do, without having knowledge, gear, software, or idea about the business, you are cheating your clients.

Stop charging, get some experience (dont take the money as a wedding photographer, instead offer your services for free for experience so they can hire someone else) and if they love your work so much they tip you, accept it.

You stated you dont need the money, so don't take it till you are ready.

Read your manual, 2nd for anyone you can, read your manual, practice practice practice, read your manual, and BUST YOUR ASS. In 3.5 years I went from where you are now to owning a studio. And the one of the biggest mistakes I made was charging when I wasnt ready.

Open your business when you can come in and knock peoples socks off. Not only will you be respected by your collegues, but you will demand the attention (and $$'s) of clients - not just get those people who are too cheap to hire a professional.

Total hypocrisy. I knew it was just a matter of time before the trash talk started. Never fails.

Typical comment. You have absolutely no idea what my experience is, what I have for equipment or anything about me, yet you can make an intelligent decision about me and my ability. Wow, you are really good. I am impressed.

Just basing that on some of the questions you have asked.. and some of the comments you have made! ;)

Guys... sigh. this (internet behaviour) does not reflect well on you. You know that. So...

Sorry my friend, but you are the master of attacking people. I didn’t attack you at all, only the attitude demonstrated. This was a very constructive conversation directed towards someone who was asking for advice, but then it just had to become nasty and insulting, as always. The obvious difference between you and I is that I don’t have to degrade and attack others just to pump up my own ego. You can attack me all you want as that will not affect me in any way. But why won’t you lighten up just a bit on beginners, even if they try to make a buck or two. Does it really affect you that much?

Sorry my friend, but you are the master of attacking people. I didn’t attack you at all, only the attitude demonstrated. This was a very constructive conversation directed towards someone who was asking for advice, but then it just had to become nasty and insulting, as always. The obvious difference between you and I is that I don’t have to degrade and attack others just to pump up my own ego. You can attack me all you want as that will not affect me in any way. But why won’t you lighten up just a bit on beginners, even if they try to make a buck or two. Does it really affect you that much?

I don't consider you worth my time.. so why would I bother attacking you? I usually just ignore you, as you hardly every say anything worth listening too!! As matter of fact.. you are going on the IGNORE list! You should just ignore me too... ;)

Last edited:
'Beer 2, and munching on some wings'

There's a reason I posted this on this beginner site: I am a beginner (where did I say professional?!) and everybody starts somewhere. I know I do want to improve which is why I did ask for advice. I have contracts with local businesses (hotels and the wedding supply co in town) who have hired me to shoot the events they host, I have weddings booked more than a year in advance, I'm on contract with my city to photograph certain events and I have more than enough interest and paying clients to sit back and be comfortable with the way things are going but I know I can and want to improve which is why I was seeking advice after paying for college classes to learn more didn't help much.
"A professional is a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee"

If you are receiving compensation for performing services THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A PROFESSIONAL. This is what everyone has been trying to tell you. I'd be willing to bet that you have no business license, insurance, or anything else required for running a business (which is exactly what you are doing whether tou choose to admit it or not). There was a thread on here late last year from a woman in Florida, if I remember correctly, who was doing exactly the same thing as you. Playing with her camera, charging a few bucks for photos, etc. The city in which she lived slammed her hard. They notified her that she owed back taxes for every dime she had made, they were going to slap her with fines for running a business without a license, all the bells and whistles.

These are things you might want to put some thought into ...

ca10bf0a.png

... I'd be willing to bet that you have no business license, insurance, or anything else required for running a business (which is exactly what you are doing whether tou choose to admit it or not)....

If you've read anything I posted you would know I did have to register since I was making too much so I do report the money I make and have to pay taxes- I posted earlier as an est figure it's about 2,000/month (before taxes) May-Nov assuming I've booked the maximum I allow myself to book, which is the case this year. My dad's a lawyer so I do have legal contracts for regular shoots, weddings, and even for the 2nd shooters. As far as the legalities of it all I have zero worry and wasn't interested in any advice for that since I know I'm covered.

I was hoping for advice on learning more and bettering my work. & was open for advice on pricing since I don't need the money from taking photos and based my price solely on my communities norm. Obviously I know using auto is a glorified point and shoot and am excited about the additional resources I've learned from some people. I could just continue on with my business since I bring in enough without bothering to change anything but I wanted to better & challenge myself to become more. I'm thankful for the people who have actually offered advice and tips and have taken the advice to heart but definitely won't be listening to any photographers who have no desire to help and only try to attack other photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back