Your first camera

Canon PowerShot 790 IS. My parents owned a few film cameras but I just didn't have any interest until digital had already caught on. :p

My sister lent me her point and shoot, don't even know what it was but it got me started and made me realize I always had to have a camera now.

I had used others: But this was the first that was *mine*
$Disc4000.jpg

I remember that I had a Kodak 110....damn the film back then if you wanted to be a serious photographer, and the developing would have killed me. Thanks to the Almighty for the ternal progression of things in general (only photography....lol)

I was given one of those Kodak 110's too as a kid...guess they were popular. :lol:

But my first real, bought-just-for-me camera was my Pentax MZ-S. :heart: Still have it and still use it.

The first one I purchased with my own saved up money was a Kodak Instamatic 124 in 1970. Up to that point I was using a borrowed SpeedGraghic or my mom's bakelite Brownie. Had some developing trays and a contact box and waited until everyone had gone to bed so that I could barricade myself in the bathroom to see how my shots had turned out.

Kodak 110 for me as well, well used by the time I got it somewhere late elementary school. Had it until I left it behind at the Grand Canyon and someone didn't bother to turn it in. Broke my heart. Didn't own another camera until I went to Fairbanks for the summer after my freshman year of college. My parents bought me a Kodak Advantix camera. Shot some decent pics that are still on my walls (like 15 years later).

I was too young to remember the exact models, but my dad started me out helping in his dark room when I was 3 or 4 years old. The first camera he gave me was a used Miranda when I was 8 or 9 years old. I still remember the old tattered leather tote it came in with a few lenses, telextenders (or whatever they were called back then), and handheld light meter. I had some serious fun with that camera. When I was a high school senior he gave me a very nice used Nikon (FE maybe??) with a couple of nice lenses as a graduation gift. My freshman year in college I promptly dumped that camera in a river on a canoe trip! We were able to salvage the lenses (my dad shot Nikon, so those lenses were actually his! Oops.), but the camera was ruined. Once again, my dad went above and beyond and brought me up to speed with a Canon Elan IIe. I loved that camera, and still have it!

Either a Praktica TL or MTL SLR, with a Pentacon 1.8/50, somehow acquired during the summer of '79.
Maybe a borrowed 126 or 110 Kodak before that.

First camera I ever actually bought was a used Nikon D200 about... oh... 6 years ago. I used that, and my fathers Canon AE1.

Best,
Jake

My mom gave me her old Kodak Instamatic 110 when I was about 6, and I think I used it 2 or 3 times. When I was about 12-13 I got a Kodak APS camera fairly cheap. Used it to take photos of friends skiing/snowboarding, then I don't think I used it again. First digital was a gift from my wife, a Kodak 7mp point and shoot that's tucked away in a spare room somewhere. First 35mm camera was my dad's old Olympus OM-1n a couple years ago-still use it from time to time. First DSLR was an Olympus EVOLT E-450.

My first ever camera I don't remember, probably one of the cheap disposable jobs, but the first one I remember using was my Dads old 70s Pentax SLR in the late 80s, I think it was a ME Super looking at the pics though my memory could be playing tricks on me. I'll need to ask him at some point. I shot a lot of photos as a kid!

Late 90's I moved out and started a family, but luckily my GF had a film EOS which I used as the bairn was wee. My first digital was a Sony Cybershot which was brilliant as it had full manual and other creative modes so I went round shooting changing all the settings to see what it would do, it's quite funny looking back on them now! After that I pinched my Dads old 10D after he upgraded to a 5D which I used for a few years until I got a very generous present of a 7D which I'm using now.

Most reactions

Back