Your First dSLR Photos - Let's See 'Em!

choudhrysaab - That's beautiful!!

Here are two of my first ones: My children of course.....

3213357708_0781744fba.jpg

3717511367_8972657732.jpg

You must have some previous experience with photography because if not those are some amazing shots. The first picture especially was definitely not taken in auto mode... correct?

choudhrysaab - That's beautiful!!

Here are two of my first ones: My children of course.....
Thanx Jen.

both of your pix are great. i really have to learn this "selective coloring" in Photoshop.

Me too man me too...I've seen some beautiful pictures come out with it. Does anyone on here know exactly what to do?
Jen maybe you can shed some light on this topic ;)

Oh my gosh!! I'm so flattered by all your comments...lol I've taken pictures for a LOOOONG time, but they never looked right (using a point and shoot). After I got my SLR I realized the camera made a HUGE difference. Then, after the kiddies were in bed I'd surf Flickr for hours looking at photos trying to develop an "eye" for it. The second one of my baby I did do a re-edit once I learned Photoshop (about three months ago). The original is cute, but looks flat to me. The selective coloring on the first photo was actually done with the edit software associated with Flickr called Picnic. But I do know how to do it in Elements if anyone wants to know how.....it is VERY easy. Can be time consuming though!

I try to take most of my pictures in manual mode that way I can learn my camera and not use Photoshop as a crutch. I still have SOOOO much to learn though. I was reading through posts on here and the whole dx fx thing lost me along with other technical stuff!! haha

Barn.jpg

I still like this one. I haven't had a DSLR very long.

LOVE it Turbo! I'm from Illinois.....so, the barn and corn just hit home with me!

Okay....selective color using Photoshop Elements. I just learned Photoshop 3 months ago, so forgive me if there is a better or easier way of doing this...

Select Smart Brush tool
Select Reverse Effects - Black and White (this will create a layer)
I then switch to a regular brush and make the foreground color black. You can use the smart brush, but I think it's harder to control - (make sure you have the layer mask selected and not the original image) and where you paint on the image the original color comes back! If you make a mistake change the foreground to white and paint the areas you want to be black and white.

Make sense? Questions??

Just create a color mask

LOVE it Turbo! I'm from Illinois.....so, the barn and corn just hit home with me!

Okay....selective color using Photoshop Elements. I just learned Photoshop 3 months ago, so forgive me if there is a better or easier way of doing this...

Select Smart Brush tool
Select Reverse Effects - Black and White (this will create a layer)
I then switch to a regular brush and make the foreground color black. You can use the smart brush, but I think it's harder to control - (make sure you have the layer mask selected and not the original image) and where you paint on the image the original color comes back! If you make a mistake change the foreground to white and paint the areas you want to be black and white.

Make sense? Questions??

Thanx Jen ... I'm gonna give it a try. lets see how I do :)

This is one of the oldest ones I have on the computer -

IMG_1818-resized.jpg

Taken in October 2006. About a month (I think) after I got my 350D.

I have much older ones (not on the computer) from a 35mm SLR, but I didn't really take anything seriously back then. They're just snapshots, and I always used the auto modes.

LOL...this is one of the very first JPEGs I shot after getting my XTi...taken December 17, 2007...I hope I've improved a little since then. Pop-up flash, oh no...LOL...

3813990274_6b15171689_o.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back