Your first photo that got you into photography

MikeFlorendo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lets try something and see how it goes. Post the first photo you took that made you want to pursue photography. Tell us the story on how and why?

Here we go-

This is the San Clemente pier. I took this 3 weeks after getting my first DSLR. I had no remote release or tripod yet so I set the timer and used a park bench for a 25 second exposure. First night shot and I think I was still shooting in JPEG. I bought Lightroom after I saw the photo so I could edit it properly but little did I know I wasn't editing it properly. I had to go back and edit it several times as I started to learn more.

SC_PIER.jpg

I don't have the photo
But back in 1985ish when in school, in astronomy class. Our scopes were pointed to outerspace and took a camera to the lens and took a photo. Neat picture though not very good. But slowly but surely it got me back into it a few years ago.

I can't believe it, but I actually do have the photo (scanned print):

You and I Waltz
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I was just out of college and had bought myself a Pentax K1000 combo birthday (22nd) and college graduation present. I was living at home and temping while waiting to start grad school later that year. One morning, it was the tail end of a snow storm and the highway was a parking lot, so I decided to wait it out a bit. The morning light coming into that room was amazing and I ran for my new camera to take some shots. Did a little arranging of the plant and the sheet music, and started shooting. The shots came out just as I had imagined them and I was beyond excited. Though I've gone through periods since then during which I barely took a single shot, it's been a life-long love affair.

I can't believe it, but I actually do have the photo (scanned print):

I was just out of college and had bought myself a Pentax K1000 combo birthday (22nd) and college graduation present. I was living at home and temping while waiting to start grad school later that year. One morning, it was the tail end of a snow storm and the highway was a parking lot, so I decided to wait it out a bit. The morning light coming into that room was amazing and I ran for my new camera to take some shots. Did a little arranging of the plant and the sheet music, and started shooting. The shots came out just as I had imagined them and I was beyond excited. Though I've gone through periods since then during which I barely took a single shot, it's been a life-long love affair.

Sweet I took a photography class in Jr. High (1984) but never really sparked anything. Wish I had those photos! The classic holding my friend in my hand with him far away. I just took the class cause there was a girl I liked in it. :)

It's not the one that got me into photography, but it's one of the first that I took and actually liked, I was 18 or 19 years old and using a crappy old camera. This shot inspired me to get my D7000 and attempt to learn how to do it all the right way. Now, 6 years later I am much more often happy with what comes out of the camera :)

It's not the one that got me into photography, but it's one of the first that I took and actually liked, I was 18 or 19 years old and using a crappy old camera. This shot inspired me to get my D7000 and attempt to learn how to do it all the right way. Now, 6 years later I am much more often happy with what comes out of the camera :)

Yeah of course I have taken many pictures before the one I posted here but that pier picture was a defining point when I actually thought I might be able to be good at photography. I tried on point and shoot cameras but never did I think I had a photo that wasn't just a decent vacation snap shot but I guess if I go back I could say this photo sparked it a little. Just a point and shoot camera (Optio10 waterproof) set to sunset with a little sun set picture as an icon. Taken in Telum Mexico 2006. I used it as my screen shot for years.

Sunset Tulum.jpg

I've wanted to be a photographer since the first time I picked up a camera. Due to various circumstances, I could not. I bought a HP P&S before taking a trip to Europe a long time ago. Here is the most memorable shot that I look back on and say, that is what makes me want to continue photography.

Attachments

• Pisa.jpg
    Pisa.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 222
I've wanted to be a photographer since the first time I picked up a camera. Due to various circumstances, I could not. I bought a HP P&S before taking a trip to Europe a long time ago. Here is the most memorable shot that I look back on and say, that is what makes me want to continue photography.
Hey I was just there!

I don't have any copy of the photograph, but I remember as a young child my mother wanted to take a picture like the ones you see in travel brochures. The sun shining brightly on flowers in a high meadow, with mountains in the background, and all in focus. Naturally, that piqued my interest because my mother liked it.

I started off with some very in-expensive cameras (point and shoot - zoom) but it wasn't until I found my first DSLR... Which I though was the D90 but looks like I had the D5000 first.

This photo inspired me for ONE reason. My grandpa. He loved fishing and was very sick at the time the photo was taken. He passed two weeks later and the photo reminds me of him everyday. The sunset emphasizing the boaters heading in for the night, just like how my grandpa would.

Boat-Sun PRINT by heather.koch43, on Flickr
(Excuse the LARGE signature)

I started off with some very in-expensive cameras (point and shoot - zoom) but it wasn't until I found my first DSLR... Which I though was the D90 but looks like I had the D5000 first.

This photo inspired me for ONE reason. My grandpa. He loved fishing and was very sick at the time the photo was taken. He passed two weeks later and the photo reminds me of him everyday. The sunset emphasizing the boaters heading in for the night, just like how my grandpa would.

Boat-Sun PRINT by heather.koch43, on Flickr
(Excuse the LARGE signature)

Very nice story and photo! :)

For me, the story is a bit different, this is more like the last photo that got me into photography.

Citrus-Picker-UE.jpg

Citrus Picker / Upland, California - circa 1974
Hasselblad 500 C/M Tri-X

I was at a cross-roads in my life. It was my senior year, I had a a major in biology (Marine) and communications (journalism/photojournalism). Photography had paid my way through college, I have already worked for UPI and presently on-staff for the Los Angeles Times ... but I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue marine biology, (there is nothing finer than swimming with wild whales) ... or photojournalism. Marine biology was this big unknown ... the grass is greener thing sucking me in. The oceans make up more than 70 percent of the Earth ... what could I find ... what could find me ... While photography ... been there, done that. I've been working for newspapers since middle school, riding my bike to cover local high school games.

One of my professors knew of my biological leanings. He took this photo and me for a long chat. I choose photojournalism.

Last edited:

Taken with this sexy, sexy camera. It's not even a point and shoot but a fixed lens 720p camcorder, because I wanted to be a filmmaker. I was just astounded that I could take video AND stills. *15 year old me faints*

18rb59xl6r8wtjpg.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back