Your help is needed...

BrandonSCMedia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have my very first photo shoot coming up with a model interested in a outdoor dominatrix shoot using mostly natural light. I'm looking into renting some equipment, about two lenses and external flash. Since i am just a beginner i'm not pretty sure what lens to choose from..I plan on going into Samys camera and asking a few of their representatives for advice BUT FIRST i must come to TPF lol

Will be shot with Nikon D3100

Rent a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens.

If you can, also rent a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens

You will need to get the lens a couple days before the shoot so you can get acquainted with how to use it effectively.
Hopefully you have a good understanding of light quality, light direction, and depth-of-field. Using a reflector or two for fill and a lighting ratio is pretty standard when doing available light portraiture. Diffusers get used too, particularly when the only available light is direct sunlight. (a diffuser reduces the harshness of direct sunlight, and makes an becomes an apparemntly larger light source so shadow edges are not sharp)

Light quality changes through out the day. Many, many shoots like the one you will be doing are done during the 'Golden Hours' - the 60 - 90 minutes or so right after sunrise, and the last 60-90 minutes before sunset.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Rent a Nikon AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8 VR.

You will need to get the lens a couple days before the shoot so you can get acquainted with how to use it efffectively.

Or...maybe rent just the AF-S 24-70mm...the VR version is due out in maybe five years...

The 70-200mm f/4 AF-S lens would also be a nice lens. It's smallish, lightweight, and easy to handle, and f/2.8 is not all that useful outdoors anyways, so the f/4 model would be fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back