Your one most favorite focal length?

fug.li

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings!

Was thinking of getting my second prime (already got one in my fav. focal length - 35mm DX ~ 52mm) but have no idea what to get (i use the same lens as wide angle by stitching 2-4 images together shot handheld with much higher total pixels).

Maybe this questions might give me some ideas, and others in my position. If you were asked what is the one focal length that is your most favorite or the one that you most often use, what would it be?

G'day!
Stanley.

P.S.: It would also be great if you can mention why it is your most favorite and what kind of shots you use it for. :)

P.P.S.: Yeah, and do mention if it is the film equiv or full frame or DX. If it is DX, if possible mention your camera's crop factor too.

Last edited:
My personal favorite focal length is a bit of a tossup between 400mm prime telephoto and 135mm prime telephoto.

My 400mm and 2x converter go everywhere with me, but the 135 is just such a nice focal length for me I have to have one if not two on every mount I use.

i've mostly been using my 20-40mm as its short end so 35mm(35mm equiv.).

Ive really been liking the short end of my 70-200 recently, so for a prime you would be looking at a 85mm or so, great for head shots on a 1.5/1.6 crop body. A 50mm is pretty good a wider portraits.

My most frequently used is not the same as my favorite. Lately I have been loving my 17-70 on the 17mm end (28 in 35mm equiv FOV). I have been exploring wide and lovin every minute of it. Until I get an ultra-wide, it is my current favorite.

my most used would be about 50mm (80mm in 35 equiv FOV)

But I don't go anywhere without my 50-500 Sigma (80-800 35mm equiv FOV)

With the new edit: "P.S.: It would also be great if you can mention why it is your most favorite and what kind of shots you use it for."

From all the different types of photography, amateur sporting events, portraiture, parties, sight-seeing and street, close up macro-like nature, naturescapes, art copy, fashion, etc. 80mm always has a the broadest application with the least amount of effort. I think my brain must be 80mm or something. :D Plus there has always been just the killer 80mm lens available for every system I've owned that was as sharp as a surgeon's scalpel (at ALL apertures!), bright as can be (f/1.2~2.0) and that somehow or another made itself affordable to me even if I was poor. I've never had an 80mm or 85mm prime I wasn't in love with. Sounds silly - but you asked. :D

28mm on olympus 4/3 amirite?

Closest thing to a normal focal length w/ film lenses (i.e. I'm broke as hell, can't afford ZD glass) and in focus from 5ft to infinity at f/5.6.

Yeah, and do mention if it is the film equiv or full frame or DX. If it is DX, if possible mention your camera's crop factor too.
DX refers to one specific sensor type.

No question about it. Canon 400mm f2.8L IS. Can you guess that I like sports photography???:lol:

Hmmmm ...

Well, depends on my mood.

My most often used is my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 -- it usually lives on the camera. I use it for about everything -- people, landscapes, buildings ...

When I'm in the macro mood, my Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro is THE LENS

My Sigma 10-20mm has been loads of fun -- especially at the 10mm end

Then I have my 2 tele zooms (Sigma 100-300mm f4 and Sigma 50-150 f2.8 with 1.4X and 2X Teleconverters) ... both great at what they do ...

If you get the feeling I'm indecisive -- you're right. I like all kinds of photography and haven't been able to narrow myself down to one thing ... so I need more than one lens ... now I need a 50mm fast prime :)

I use 50mm the most, but I think 85mm is my favorite.

I use my 20mm on my 5D a lot as it's wide, but not like stuck-in-a-fishbowl wide. I've also played around with an 85mm (equiv. to a 50mm on a crop sensor) and a 50mm on the full frame sensor, and I like both of those a lot. I'm actually selling my 24-70 in lieu of a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 as soon as I find a buyer on craigslist.

I shoot mainly landscapes and my most used lenses are a 28mm on 35mm and 50mm on 6x6 (which is roughly equivalent to 28mm). They are wide but do not exaggerate too much the near/far distance relationship of objects within the frame and I find it gives a fairly natural perspective.

I don't own my favourite lens :(
can't get to it even --- its a toss up between 300mm (f2.8 IS canon) or a 400/500mm (L)
each great for wildlife photography!

At the moment I would have to say my favourite lens (not nessessarily focal length) is my sigma 150mm macro - though boosting it to a 300mm macro with a 2*TC is also fun.
I guess what I am saying is I don't have a favourite length, but I do have favourite uses of a lens

Most reactions

Back