Your Opinions

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Someone I know is wanting to purchase Digital Point and Shoot camera for less than $400...I was just curious as to your opinions on what the best camera would be...I'm researching dpreview for her, but don't have much experience with point and shoots myself. She's wanting to do her families portraits with them, and other than that this would just be for consumer purposes...snapshots mostly. I've looked over some Canons and Nikons that seem to be good...so any suggestions you all have would be appreciated...especially those that have had personal experience. So far the Canon Powershot A620 seems to be a great camera with the right price tag...but there is also the Nikon Coolpix 7900...or others...

Tell her to pay you $400 and you'll take photos for her using a $x,xxx camera... ;)

haha, all joking aside...
I was pretty impressed with the Olympus point and shoots... some of them are around that price range. :)

:lol: Thanks for the help Littleman :lol:

Canon A95...I'll look that one up :) Thanks

i like the look of the fuji finepix z1. Im thinking of buying one of these myself. Might be a little out of your friends budget by a couple of dollars though

Nobody knows the answer to your question.

There's a few billion of point and shoots under 400 bucks and by the time a comparison is published, it's outdated.

I've just had to suggest a cam to two people. Canon S60 looks ok... so is any other Sony/Noink/Canon

Thanks for the info....I know what you're saying Doc...I was just hoping that some folks here would have personal experience with certain models they really liked...I think I've narrowed it down to about 5 that would work out nicely so I'll show her tommorow and see what she thinks :)

I bought a small Nikon 3200 and a small Olympus C60 - both were dreadful. The Nikon went flat after five shots with flash and the Olympus didn't really focus very well or allow any DOF. Just my $.02

Rob

ooh, look - 800 posts!!

Someone I know is wanting to purchase Digital Point and Shoot camera for less than $400...[/quote

That "Someone" is you isn't it!!! :p and you're just too ashamed! hehehe. :p

:lol: No I'm the proud owner of a Canon Rebel XT and wouldn't buy a point and shoot with that bad boy at my side :lol:

PlasticSpanner said:
Not sure about P&S's but the camera LaFoto uses seems to be excellent

Well, it has kind of grown on me, yes. I am quite happy with it.

PlasticSpanner said:
I think it's a Canon A95?
Yes, it is the Canon Powershot A95, and I got it for only €299.- at the time.

PlasticSpanner said:
(now she's read the manual & found out how to use it in manual mode!:lol: )

And no, Chris. I still haven't read the manual.
I just played with it and played with it a little more, and gradually played my way into using it in manual mode, too. Now I like it even better :D.

(More than my 35mm Canon SLR ... but I am beginning to think it is the 70-300mm lens that is giving me the trouble, not the camera itself).

Most reactions

Back