Your Profession?

MikeisEdge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are there any of you that have taken up Photography as your major?

I'm looking into this possibility, but I am wondering if schooling is a big issue when in comes to Photography...? I figure that for the most part, your pictures and results would speak louder than your degree and where it came from? -Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to be attend a good university and receive top-notch education, but there aren't many options where I live, and leaving my home isn't an option either... So my education would have to come from Valencia, UCF, or Full Sail (as a last resort considering it's a private school and it would cost a lot more).

Just in case there is no-one on here that majored in Photography: Do you know of any famous photographers that make their living off of their images? Can you could give me their names so I can look into what schooling they went through, etc.?

Leibovitz, Annie

Adams, Ansel

Link, O. Winston

Karsch, Yousuf

A comprehensive list... (Google is your friend) Very few famous photographers that I am aware of have formal education in photography, at least to the level of a degree. Annie Liebovitz has a degree in art from UCSF, Ansel Adams studied music in his youth...

I'll bet you find as many successful photographers that DIDN"T go to school, as you do those that did.

Just food for thought.

I work at Super-Job

I get my Super-Paycheck at the end of each month. The only downside is that you have to wear this stupid Super-Uniform , and sit in a Super-Un Airconditioned Super-Cubicle.

JK I'm Super-unemployed. Planning on majoring in film/photography, something along those lines.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to see what people thought. I searched in google for a while, but it didn't become very helpful. (Although I didn't search for famous photographers, but now that I have names I will.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to see what people thought. I searched in google for a while, but it didn't become very helpful. (Although I didn't search for famous photographers, but now that I have names I will.

Mostly, you get your degrees pertaining to art/photography, join guild(s) of other photographers, and find work, establish yourself, etc.

From what I have read/heard, Exposure > Cashflow at first, because Exposure => Cashflow.

Iy all depends on what area of photography you want to get into, you'd be better off taking a degree that is going to get you more than a piece of paper that says "photographer" As great it is to be a photographer, it's better to not have to rely on it for your sole source of income, certainly not anymore. The jobs that were once easier to get, though local papers etc, have all but vanished except for the exceptional few that either have alot of skill, or luck. Don't give up on a dream though, if you think you are good enough, stick with it.

As for a famous photographer that was mentioned Yousuf Karsh was only in school for a very brief period in his teens, he worked in his uncle's studio for a short time in Quebec before heading to Boston to work in another studio, after that moved back to Canada where he set up shop. Both he and my father were awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award for photography in 1999.

Most reactions

Back