Your recommendations....

lj.lo.np

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I used to focus on sports photography with a Canon 7D. I went back to grad school, and am finally finished after four years. I put photography on hold, and I am wanting to resume, with a different perspective.

So here is the question: within the Canon realm, if cost were no object, which camera body and two lenses would be your ideal?

Of course, one has to ask, what am I shooting? Well, I'm not sure. That's the quandary. Not landscapes or sports. I am interested in macro images. Portraits. Street photography (sort of). I have a lovely 70-200 lens that was my go-to, but I need to expand skills.

I would deeply appreciate opinions and guidance.

Jennifer

Hello all,

I used to focus on sports photography with a Canon 7D. I went back to grad school, and am finally finished after four years. I put photography on hold, and I am wanting to resume, with a different perspective.

So here is the question: within the Canon realm, if cost were no object, which camera body and two lenses would be your ideal?

Of course, one has to ask, what am I shooting? Well, I'm not sure. That's the quandary. Not landscapes or sports. I am interested in macro images. Portraits. Street photography (sort of). I have a lovely 70-200 lens that was my go-to, but I need to expand skills.

I would deeply appreciate opinions and guidance.

Jennifer

Does it have to be canon? Are you already invested in canon?

If cost were no issue it would be the 1Dx mkII, a 24-70 2.8, and a 70-200 2.8. That’s the highest performing and most versatile combo you can get. The lens choices change if you have a specific genre you want to focus on.

Perhaps you should try to think a little more about what you’d like to shoot and how much you’re willing to spend.

Welcome to the forum.

5d mk IV for body I believe it's has the best sensor for the money (for Canon full frame). Lenses really could be anything. But since you mentioned macro. Canon 180mm f/3.5L macro. I have 60mm, 2 105mm, and a 200mm micro lenses (yes Nikon). And by far I like using the 200mm the best. Just having that extra room between you and subject and still get 1:1. Having about a foot between the lens and subject might keep the creepy crawlies from fleeing. Though I have not used the Canon 180, from what I read it's tack sharp! I would say a 35mm or 50mm in either 1.4 or 1.8 flavor would be just fine for street photography. And general walking around lens (if you get full frame body). And of course there is the typical 24-70 f/2.8 f/2.8L zoom lens.

I agree that a 180mm f/3.5 macro lens is SUPER-handy: I had the Sigma 180 EX PO HSM 1:1 macro--really nice to have that 1:1 magnifcation at 18 inches from the sensor plane! Soooooo good for bugs, and for other stuff too. Shorter macros I have owned have been 50,55,60mm, 90mm, and 100 mm...and of all those, the 90 and 100 were handy,m but the 180mm macro was by far handier.

Anyway: 5D Mark III is a nice camera, good image quality, reasonable cost, good sensor.

As for stuff to buy: a 12mm to 20mm extension tube (aftermarket like the Kenko AF tube) would be handy for many lenses, just to get closer-up focusing.

24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 as Destin says: VERY handy!!!

But--for MACRO shooting, definitely the 180mm Canon macro; use an extension tube for other lenses. The Canon 500D, two-elelement ,screw-in close-up lens (aka 'filter') is a HIGH-grade, achromatic lens accessory, that would work acceptably on the 70-200 lenses Canon has made. I own one, have used it on my 300/4 and 70-200/2.8 Nikkor lenses, works well. Not as good as the extension tube route, but HANDY, small, affordable when bought used.

Easy, Canon 5D IV, best sensor Canon ever made, good AF system, rugged body just a true pro camera with all the bells and whistles you can ask for in the Canon world, that's what I would buy if I was a Canon user.

1Dxii
200-400 f/4
600 f/4

Though since you’re starting over, figure what you want to photograph

If money were no object, MY choices for Canon would be the 1Dx mk II with a 400mm f/2.8 and the new 70-200mm f/2.8 II.

For macro, there are a couple of camera's from Canon to consider. The 5D mk IV is the newest in the 5D line and would be great for macro. I also thing the that 50mp 5Ds and 5Dsr would be good for macro photography too. The 70-200mm f/2.8 II and one of the macro lenses that others have listed would be the glass to get.

Most reactions

Back