Your thoughts on a dinner idea? (For the foodies)

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's my idea for dinner tonight. Kinda just threw it together in my head...

I'm thinking:

Flank steaks marinated in red wine, garlic and rosemary
Give them a nice sear in a pan with additional rosemary and garlic as well as red wine to keep them moist
Finish them with a slice of herbed goat cheese on top
Serve with Israeli couscous, or risotto and a mixed green and apple salad.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Instead of goat cheese, Gorgonzola might be another possibility. I love the earthy flavor of it.

Sounds better than the dinner I am having. Don't skimp on the cut of meat though. Hit up the Meat House in Scarborough or there is this good place in Gorham that I can't recall the name of.

........ Don't skimp on the cut of meat though.....
Flank steak can have a marvelous flavor if seasoned and cooked properly.

Tyler, although your marinade sounds nice, I would consider a dry rub with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper at the very least. Smoked paprika and ancho chile pepper would be a couple of other winners. The thickness and texture of a flank lends itself well to a rather quick cooking time and do not overcook. Medium rare, please. Also, thinly slice on a diagonal, against the grain.

runnah said:
Sounds better than the dinner I am having. Don't skimp on the cut of meat though. Hit up the Meat House in Scarborough or there is this good place in Gorham that I can't recall the name of.

Gorham and Scarborough are pretty far to quest for a cut of meat when Bissons in Topsham is right in my backyard. I'll probably opt for an organic option at hannaford to save time though.

Kundalini, thanks for the tips. I love smoked paprika!

........ Don't skimp on the cut of meat though.....
Flank steak can have a marvelous flavor if seasoned and cooked properly.

Tyler, although your marinade sounds nice, I would consider a dry rub with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper at the very least. Smoked paprika and ancho chile pepper would be a couple of other winners. The thickness and texture of a flank lends itself well to a rather quick cooking time and do not overcook. Medium rare, please. Also, thinly slice on a diagonal, against the grain.

If you don't have a sharp knife, most butchers will cut it for you quicker and better. If you do have them cut it, I would suggest cooking it asap.

runnah said:

Gorham and Scarborough are pretty far to quest for a cut of meat when Bissons in Topsham is right in my backyard. I'll probably opt for an organic option at hannaford to save time though.

Kundalini, thanks for the tips. I love smoked paprika!

oops thought you were more south.

This sounds good, and I think I'd opt for the gorgonzola. Maybe add some cracked pepper. Roasting the garlic, first, will make it creamy and a lot sweeter.

If you don't have a sharp knife, most butchers will cut it for you quicker and better. If you do have them cut it, I would suggest cooking it asap.
If you don't have a sharp set of GOOD kitchen knives, forget that next lens you're drooling over and invest in some. The payoff is immediate gratification.

i-Qb825Sr-XL.jpg

Wow, I have some of the same knives. But I tend to use my 8" chef more than the rest put together. Are the wood handles Chicago Cutlery?

A few Wüsthofs and a Henkels. But they do the trick.

$image-1671128059.jpg

Attachments

• $image-2891110042.jpg
    $image-2891110042.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 160
Geez, tyler, I would never have guessed you for such a food snob!

Crumble the goat cheese into the salad with some candied pecans (which if you don't know how: couple teaspoons of butter, pinch of salt, handful of pecans in the skillet, toast 'em lightly and add a tablespoon of brown sugar, heat until the sugar melts, more or less coat the nuts. set aside to cool).

Not sure I'd do any cheese on the meat, I'm not feelin it with the rich liquid they'll be living with.

Couscous over risotto, you've got enough complexity in the meat you want something simple here, not More Stuff.

I think I'll just nod my head and say "yes, yes, quite. I concur!" haha

A few Wüsthofs and a Henkels. But they do the trick.
Nice. My 6 piece (includes the steel not pictured) are an old set of Messer's (EU market). They are quite nice IMO. I inherited them in my first pub in London and worked them daily for about 6 years.

My oldest son does the majority of cooking for his family and I got him the 2 piece starter set, 8" cook's and 3-1/2" paring knives. My mother, who is tight with a penny, was so impressed that she wanted me to order her the paring knife. I've had the meat cleaver on my wish list for a while. Okay, there's more than the one Wüsthof on the list. I have Henkel steak knives.

Most reactions

Back