Your thoughts on the nikon 80-200

Seriously doubt that, even if you say probably, indicating that you don't really know.

I have bought from KEH (long ago) as well as individuals selling items on internet forums. Thank you though for presuming one way or another. Now had I qualified my statment with IS instead of PROBABLY, you'd have some basis for your response. I didnt, and wouldn't. Thankfully a need to post is rarely tempered by common sense or else little would ever get said on a message board.

As to the OP, I would actually check and see if anyone is selling an 80-200 on DigitalWeddingForums.com - I've bought more than a few items from there, and usually you can get some great deals. I actually bought my 80-200 2.8D for about 600 bucks; you just have to keep an eye out on various places. 800/900 I suppose isn't a bad deal, but there are certainly better ones.

I was in the same boat and did the 18 months no interest deal at Best Buy (did this with my D90 as well). Cost me a little more but I also have the warranty to go along with it, peace of mind I guess.

I was in the same boat and did the 18 months no interest deal at Best Buy (did this with my D90 as well). Cost me a little more but I also have the warranty to go along with it, peace of mind I guess.

Oh damn. How much did they charge there? They had the 80-200? That's pretty amazing.

Seriously doubt that, even if you say probably, indicating that you don't really know.

I have bought from KEH (long ago) as well as individuals selling items on internet forums. Thank you though for presuming one way or another. Now had I qualified my statment with IS instead of PROBABLY, you'd have some basis for your response. I didnt, and wouldn't. Thankfully a need to post is rarely tempered by common sense or else little would ever get said on a message board.

I qualified my response with the fact that I noticed that you said probably. But I know better than to accept what you said in that post I responded to.

I personally know people at who currently work at KEH, have been to their location here in Metro Atlanta, not that long ago, and what they list as BGN is not something that anyone else would be able to (anywhere close to accurately, not even probably) describe as excellent unless they were intentionally misrepresenting or outright lying, and I am not going to claim that all or most people do that.

If something they sell at KEH is better than a BGN lens, why would they list it as BGN? Seems logical that they would categorize it accurately so they can list it for more money.

I'm done here, can't rationalize with this irrational line of thought.

My brain hurts :drool:

But thanks to both ANDS! and derrel

I will take both of your advice. I extrapolated (see I know big words) from your posts that I should get a Good condition (EX from KEH)80-200 f/2.8 AF-D from HERE

Now I just need to figure out how to pay for it.

If you call KEH and ask about a specific lens. They will give you the rundown on the lens. If its listed as bargain they will tell you why (glass marks, brassing, dents, ...etc). If they say the lens works (AF) it will work. Obviously I would pick a two ring over a push pull first choice. But I would not make that a limitation. The performance of the lenses optically are the same. I have "heard" focusing is quicker on the newer version. But how fast do you need to AF? For me the price of the EX and EX+ are too close to new prices. I would just order a new one. I have used KEH half a dozen times and trust them. But if your going to pay 85-90% of new. Might as well get a new one.

If you can pick up a good working push pull for $400 and are on a budget. I would not think twice about it. Also, you can most likely recoup most if not all if you wanted to upgrade in the future!

It sounds like your set on an 80-200 and that sounds good. Now just have to find one. :p

ive heard the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF version auto focuses slow, would it be too slow for sports?

The focusing speed of AF lenses largely depends on the camera's AF motor. On the D80 it feels a little slow at times. On the D200 it is very fast, however it has it's own issues for those who haven't used a non AF-S lens before. Due to the gearing of the AF D lens when the autofocus is activated you feel quite a significant torque action on the camera body. Nothing bad, just something that first timers may not expect.

I have used this lens quite successfully tracking the ball on a football field, coming straight towards me behind the goal posts.

If something they sell at KEH is better than a BGN lens, why would they list it as BGN?

Jesus Christ. Why wouldn't they? Are you really arguing about a statement indirectly noting that the standards for online retailers are perhaps more strict than what private party sellers might consider to be so? My god. This is beyond asinine.

If something they sell at KEH is better than a BGN lens, why would they list it as BGN?

Jesus Christ. Why wouldn't they? Are you really arguing about a statement indirectly noting that the standards for online retailers are perhaps more strict than what private party sellers might consider to be so? My god. This is beyond asinine.

I am done with you!

You choice as to how you use some names in this last post is offensive to me.

Like I said earlier, I cannot rationalize with this irrational line of thought.

Oh sweet jesus do you promise? Lordy I can't go back and forth with you - you say you're out, then you come back in! Praise his name - let it be real this time!

Been doing some reading, other postings here on TPF.

No WONDER Mr. ANDS! has 1,998 postings... Have searched and briefly read several hundred of them, enough to realize that

HE ARGUES WITH EVERYBODY!

And then seems to like to turn the dialog into rude, personal attacks, name calling and insults.

But he is educated, with a better than average vocabulary.

And he has 8 "thanks"... (2 more than I do)

wowee!

Last edited:
My brain hurts :drool:

But thanks to both ANDS! and derrel

I will take both of your advice. I extrapolated (see I know big words) from your posts that I should get a Good condition (EX from KEH)80-200 f/2.8 AF-D from HERE

Now I just need to figure out how to pay for it.

If you call KEH and ask about a specific lens. They will give you the rundown on the lens. If its listed as bargain they will tell you why (glass marks, brassing, dents, ...etc). If they say the lens works (AF) it will work. Obviously I would pick a two ring over a push pull first choice. But I would not make that a limitation. The performance of the lenses optically are the same. I have "heard" focusing is quicker on the newer version. But how fast do you need to AF? For me the price of the EX and EX+ are too close to new prices. I would just order a new one. I have used KEH half a dozen times and trust them. But if your going to pay 85-90% of new. Might as well get a new one.

If you can pick up a good working push pull for $400 and are on a budget. I would not think twice about it. Also, you can most likely recoup most if not all if you wanted to upgrade in the future!

It sounds like your set on an 80-200 and that sounds good. Now just have to find one. :p

Thanks! If the af speed (on the one ring) would be similar to the af on my 55-200 that would be fine. I just wish I could use it before I bought it.

But did someone say that KEH's policy is if I don't like it I can return it. Is that true?

In my personal experience, KEH is pretty much just as good and as reputable as either Adorama or B&H.

Any of the above three should take good care of you.

Thanks! If the af speed (on the one ring) would be similar to the af on my 55-200 that would be fine. I just wish I could use it before I bought it.

But did someone say that KEH's policy is if I don't like it I can return it. Is that true?

14 Days. You'll be fine. If anything you'll want to upgrade the camera once you slap the 80-200 on the D50. Man I can't imagine that ol' gal even supporting the beast that is the 80-200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back