Your thoughts please

dylanstraub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently stumbled upon a used sigma 17-35 2.8 to 4.0 EX hsm for the excellent price of 100.00. The retailer explained that the aperture is stuck at 8.0 which explains the price. He also indicated that the glass is very clean and the lens was hardly used. I trust this retailer and I'm almost ready to buy it but I want to seek council from some people here. Has anyone used this lens and if so do you like it? Would you buy it again? Am I selling myself short with a lens that can only do f8? Also, It's doubtful that I'll have the money to get this fixed anytime soon. I really want a wide angle lens and at 17 this isn't quite as wide as I'd like but it's doubtful that I'll have the 500+ dollars to purchase what I want any time soon. At a minimum this would be a good replacement for my crappy kit lens. What do you think?

Yes - you are cheating yourself by purchasing a lens that only works at f/8. I assume by "stuck at f/8" they mean that the aperture blades have somehow jammed and don't open up to full-aperture to focus as a normal lens would do. The auto-focus system won't be able to work at f/8. Also this REALLY cramps your ability to get an exposure as your stuck with the options of adjusting ISO (lower light photos would be very noisy and true low light photos could only be taken of non-moving subjects and would likely always require a tripod.)

Has the seller made any attempt to have this lens serviced? Do they know if it is serviceable?

You bring up some good points. I don't know if the seller has made an attempt to service the lens yet but considering that they are a big company you would think it is whithin their means to get this fixed. I think I'll hold on to my money for now. Thanks again for the advice.

Most reactions

Back