Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I followed a link Hertz put up in Q&A about a photographer...Duane Micheals, was it? Anyway this is a photo shot by him...it made me stop and think for a while, and I was wondering how others would interperet the shot. I have not yet read the essay that goes with it...I'll do so after I get a few comments.

http://www.temple.edu/photo/photographers/michals/DM10.html

My interpretation is of a gay man being injected with god for the cross, as a cure to his gayness. A second issues is the man facial expiation, is it some form of passive aggression of a person being forced in to treatment (torment) or is it a person torment by his orientation looking and hoping for help out of his gayness (Wanting to be part of social normality)

I interpreted the crucifix as a pistol, and the entire image to represent how organized religions attempt to force their moral judgements on the masses even in a supposedly secular state.

This photo really jumped out at me at first, but as I came back and looked at it a few more times, it began losing it's impact. It would be a great photo for a magazine article, but to stand on it's own I would prefer something less obvious.

I tend to agree with Matt's comment. This type of imagery is fine when accompanying the statement behind it, and I have no problem with the statement behind it. I support it. Nor do I have a problem with some photographers' desire to make political or social commentary with images like this; it would grow tedious for me, however.

What's your take, Corry? :D

Actually, Terri, I'm agreeing with both you and Matt on this one. I wouldn't have been able to explain it that well, though. When I get home I'll have to read the essay he had put with the photo.

Interesting photo. Homosexuality + Catholicism do not mix is my impression.

However, the man "being shot" may not necessarily be a homosexual. He is obviously in a certain stage of undress, so he could be a man who has engaged in premarital sex, or even possibly adultery. This is just what I get from the photo alone, have not read the essay. I will read the essay and see how wrong I am.

Most reactions

Back