Your Views Invited

Rod-UK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
There is this gorgous Eagle Owl standing about 500mm high in a Cage in a Barn.
The natural light was poor, I had no flash and the fastest lens with me was a 105mm f2.8.

I really really had to take some photo's of this beastie, but the problems were (i) poor light (ii) 50mm square mesh on the cage.

My compromise was to take this shot from about 3-4 metres away and focus on the eyes.

What would you have done ??

Attachments

• $Owl.jpg
    $Owl.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 118
yes if that fence had'nt been in the way this would have been a great well defined shot, they are a beautiful creature, nice subject.

Thanks for your views. But a couple of points;

(i) I am surprised you all found the cage distracting, even though its way out of focus and hardly interferes with the shot.
I thought it added drama to the result. The fact of the cage is why the Owl is looking so savagely at the camera.

(ii) Had I put the lens (105mm) thro the wire there would only be one eye to see,
which of course with hind sight I could have tried, but didn't.

I really like the shot you ended up with. The cage is not that distracting for me, its the color of the wire. Had it been metal maybe it would have given the more caged look to it. Not sure how else you could have done it, (sticking it through the cage might have worked), nice work on a hard capture.

I'm with kilifila, the cage can be seen, in my opinion, as just a little added interest on a great owl shot. I like it! It's kind of a funky effect really (I don't think I've used the word funky in at least a year. Always sounded a bit to "hippie" or something to me :))

Hello,

Personally, I like the fencing; but then I am a contrary old git:lol: . Reminds us that your more "exotic" wildlife is often only viewed when mediated by the means of captivity. I don't really have much time for people who try to pass off pictures of captive animals as taken in the wild.

Cheers

F. Duddy

Most reactions

Back