Your views

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Jmain7, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Jmain7

Jmain7 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering does anyone know if there is a market for this kind of photography. I really like HDR photography. I currently own a basic entry level DSLR. Would upgrading to a full frame camera enhance the quality/clearness of my images?

$image-2617603058.jpg

2. paigew

paigew Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,007 / 2
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    This isn't HDR. This would be a portrait, and yes, there is a market for portrait photography :D To improve quality + clearness learn how to use your camera better...what one do you have?

3. Jmain7

Jmain7 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I currently own a canon 1000D but i find it to be really slow n not responsive as i would like.how about you? X

4. Gavjenks

Gavjenks New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +588 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    There is not really any physically possible way to just glance at a photo and know whether it is HDR or not.

@OP: Give us a lot more info. WHAT kind of photography? How is your camera holding you back in more detail? "Slow and unresponsive" is not normal for a DSLR, and sounds more like a broken camera to me than a low end one (maybe not). ?? Etc. I dunno, write a couple paragraphs more. You gave almost nothing to work with.

5. paigew

paigew Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,007 / 2
    Google search results for "hdr photo" looks nothing like the photo the op presented. I don't see how a photo like this could possibly be a hdr, seeing as how it has barely any dynamic range. If I try and bake a cake, and instead it turns into a pile of mush is it really a cake? Regardless of how many separate exposures the op took, merged together (whatever...I have never done hdr) this is, if anything a failed attempt at an hdr. If it really was a multiple exposure image to begin with...which I doubt.

To the OP
    When posting for critique please list the settings you used so we can tell you what to change next time. Are you shooting in auto mode?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  6. ronlane

ronlane Gone to shoot, be back later.

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,185 / 2
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Cute image of the little guy but the photo is too heavily vignetted for my personal tastes. Personally, I don't see the high dynamic range of this photo, but I would also question the use of HDR for portraits. It would seem to me that you would end up with a grunge look that you could get from a Lightroom preset, something like this Lightroom Presets ? Desaturated Sports Photo Presets | Lightroom Killer Tips

7. Gavjenks

Gavjenks New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +588 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    As you may be surprised to learn, "Google image searching HDR" is not exactly the most thorough way of learning what a term means, and it does not give you a comprehensive point of view on identifying HDR images. it doesn't help either that you've never done it yourself before...

HDR means that the image captures information from a dynamic range IN THE SCENE that exceeds what is normally within the capabilities of the camera being used. Thus, in order to know if something is HDR for sure, you need to know
    1) The capabilities of the camera,
    2) What the lighting was like in the scene.

Since you weren't there to see the lighting and don't have metering information given to you, it is impossible to say. I would definitely have leaned toward "probably not" but when the guy explicitly mentions HDR, I would definitely stop assuming. For example, for all you know, the kid has a super harsh bank of halogen work lamps on him, and the dynamic range of the scene was like 25 stops. If so, then to get an image that looks like this with a Canon 1000D would absolutely require HDR. Whereas if it was softly and evenly lit, you might not need HDR to get the exact same image.

The OP very well might not know what he's talking about and quite possibly may be using the term incorrectly. I'm simply saying that it is impossible to tell for sure purely from the final image with no info.

8. Jmain7

Jmain7 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry but i was referring to is there a market for portraiture images edited to a slight pencil/cartoonist effect.

$image-434347618.jpg

I bought my 1000d a few years ago from jessops,but lately it is startin to be less responsive than when i 1st purchased it. do you know any good insights of where i can gain more knowledgeable experience?

9. ronlane

ronlane Gone to shoot, be back later.

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,185 / 2
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Jmain7, is there a market for it? I'm sure that there are some that might buy it. Personally for me, I don't like that look. To me it isn't flattering to those ladies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. paigew

paigew Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,007 / 2
    Here!!! Welcome :D

11. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3,179 / 3
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Umm.. how do we know the kids name isn't Henry David Robertson?

Lol.. ok, sorry, I'll stop "helping"...

12. Gavjenks

Gavjenks New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +588 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    The first photo is overdone with the black vignette around the outside of it and has unpleasant lighting. Could also use more interesting expression and pose in the model.
    The second photo is just horrendous, sorry (I don't know if it's yours - if not you shouldn't be posting it inline btw). It's a bar snapshot or whatever which is okay fine, snapshot. But then the weird sharpening and super high color saturation that was done to it in post processing is almost criminal.

If it is your photo I can try and give more advice on how to do better. But it would probably be more efficient to suggest you buy some books on composition and lighting for photography, perhaps portraits in particular.
    Bryan Peterson is an excellent author to learn from.

13. Jmain7

Jmain7 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have just researched the forming of HDR and i apologise for my uneducated term. I did not realise it was the stitching of different exposures and layered and flattened onto each other. I was trying to explain the effect as such.
    Ok something i can work on - less vignette.
    Can you take a look at these images i took and give me your opinion of where i am going wrong. I appreciate it, thanks.

$image-731248719.jpg

$image-2506261248.jpg

$image-3813478.jpg

$image-2053323663.jpg

$image-1817920907.jpg

14. paigew

paigew Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,007 / 2
    The main, biggest issue you have here is lighting. You see the pinpoint catchlight in every person's eyes? The 'flashed' look of the skin and the harsh shadows behind them and/or under the jaw? On camera flash will do that, it gives you harsh, flat, unflattering light.

15. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3,179 / 3
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Jmain7, I'd recommend you do some research and reading on composition to start with - I'm sure some of the other folks will have a little more in depth tips for you on lighting, etc - but really I think the foundation of a really good photograph lies in how the image is composed. I'd start with just a simple google search, you'll be able to find a ton of helpful information, tutorials and guides on photographic composition.

• Like Like x 1