Youth Soccer C&C

Cortney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... my Niece and Nephew play Soccer, and my Niece volunteered me to take action shots for both of their teams! I've never done sports photography (and I do not have the best lenses, just the 2 kit lenses) here are a few examples from their first game. I would really appreciate whatever tips you have!

1. I like this one because the girls are out of focus and the ball is in focus.. But do you think it's to much for the Mom's and Dad's to appreciate?
P9124947.jpg

P9124936.jpg

P9195857.jpg

P9195905.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone? I could really use some advise. I have to shoot again this Saturday. For all you out there that shoot how do you go about it? I shot hand held this game, but I think I will bring out the tri-pod on Saturday.

Should I set up in one place, or move around the field?

Thanks for any advise!

check out "rule of thirds"... i think it def applies to sports images...

these images are all too centered.. like the 2nd and 3rd one... it would be better if the people aren't centered but instead more to the right of the frame... typically u can leave the emptier space in front of them to "lead" the action.. when they centered like that, the whole area behind the player is kinda wasted space...

doubt u need a tripod... looks sunny outside and w/ light like that just about any lens would be fast enough...

also... try dif spots on the field... the corners, on the side of the goal, etc etc... you'll get more variety that way than just camping in one spot and shooting from there the whole time.. .

Watch your backgrounds--try and select the least-ugly background side of the field. Faces are always better than backsides or side views, but soccer is a bit unpredictable. SHoot in a high-quality capture mode and CROP IN on the action so it's relatively close looking in the final image.

Use continuous focus settings, with the highest rate of firing your camera can do, which keeps the AF system working as fast as it can. Set the ISO to a medium level, like ISO 800 when in good light--there is no absolute need for ISO 800, except that it boosts your shutter speed and gives you the option of a slightly smaller aperture ( a high-numbered aperture like f/7.1 let's say) which will improve your depth of field and lessen the need for 100% critical focus.

Try and get a corner kick picture. Try and get a shot of the goalie and a shot on goal--in which case you will have backs instead of faces. Soccer moves fast. So you need to think fast and shoot fast. Try practicing shooting whoever has the ball; when the ball is passed downfield, swing the camera downfield and press the shutter to begin the focusing action, and get ready to shoot. Shoot a lot. Use a long focal length when the action is far, zoom back when it is closer.

Anyone? I could really use some advise. I have to shoot again this Saturday. For all you out there that shoot how do you go about it? I shot hand held this game, but I think I will bring out the tri-pod on Saturday.

Thanks for any advise!

For action, a monopod is probably a better choice than a tripod and, in bright sunlight, I doubt that you'll need that. Someone brought up the rule of thirds. I agree with a bit of further clarification. You want the main subject to have a place to go. You don't want him/her aimed toward the nearby frame edge.

Someone else mentioned a less cluttered background. Yeah, that too! If at all possible, use a large aperture to blur the background as much as possible.

By the way, #2 and #3 would be prizewinners with a bit of better framing and a whole lot less cluttered background.

Thanks for any advise!

By the way, #2 and #3 would be prizewinners with a bit of better framing and a whole lot less cluttered background.

Thanks! I've not used Photoshop much, but do you suggest trying to Photoshop out some of the cluttered background? Kinda hard to get a good background at the game is impossible! The parents are everywhere!

also... try dif spots on the field... the corners, on the side of the goal, etc etc... you'll get more variety that way than just camping in one spot and shooting from there the whole time.. .

I started in the middle of the field when the game started, then I moved down towards the goal that was getting the most action..and then switched at half time to the other goal. The shots from the goal area were a bit nicer because I could get the kids head on while they were coming towards the goal.. but that area does make it a little difficult to get a goal shot... I did get this shot.. kinda unique... I just wish it were a little sharper

P9125083.jpg

Hey Cortney,
Nice action shots. My advice is to take lots of photos and create custom collages. I do this for my kids' teams. Here are a couple of examples.

I LOVE this Idea! I'd been trying to decide how to share my photo's with the team.. I had considered doing a team slide show for their party at the end of the season and giving each player a copy. Or to make an different one for each player with just shots of that child.. As a sport parent.. I am assuming that you would prefer a disc with shots of just your child (so you don't have to go through 100's)

I am obviously not charging for this, but I would like to eventually turn my hobby into a career, I love taking Portraits, and often borrow friends children to do it! Still not crazy about the action shots, but it may grow on me :sexywink: Should I try to somehow market myself when I pass the discs out at the end of the season? If so what ways do you recommend?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back