You've not had kippers until you had .....

Lensmeister

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
Website
www.lensmeister.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fortune's Kippers !

Seriously this is the best place in the cosmos to get Kippers ........ It's an old family run business hence the b/w

fortunes.jpg

Converted to B/w and bordered in PS

Very nice capture. The angle is perfect.

What exactly are Kippers? I've never heard that word on this side of the pond. :blushing:

You're really and truly honouring Fortune's Kippers with this photo. Will you send them an enlarged print? You should, I doubt they've had a better photo of their place before!!!

And yes, please also explain to a humble foreign speaker of your language what Kippers are, will you? They would not be roast chicken? ("Kip" in Dutch is chicken, if I remember right... my thoughts are coming from there, you see?)

elsaspet said:
Ok, what the heck is a kipper?

Lensmeister said:
Kippers are aka Smoked herrings .... a wonderful breakfast meal ....

Set a frying pan on a gas and melt some butter ... ..... lay your kipper (Smoked herring) in to the pan and fry gently. best served hot with bread and butter on the side ... can add vinegar to flavour ... mmmmmmmmm

One of the references mentions that preserved herrings are called kippers,a nd that they can be preserved by salting OR salting and smoking OR smoking. Perhaps the term smoked kipper is to imply these are definately smoked, not just salted? Or as one part site says, modern kippers are lightly smoked for flavour and have a short shelf life, so perhpas smoked kippers get the full preservation treatment. Certainly the online sites of traditional kipper makers all imply that the smoking is the major thing they do.

Cook America says

Kipper - To kipper means to cure, usually fish, by cleaning, salting and drying or smoking. It also means a male salmon during or shortly after spawning. When a herring is kippered it is first butterflies, cured in brine, and then cold smoked. It has a Smokey, salty flavor and is usually given an artificial golden color. When a salmon is kippered in the U.S. it is a chunk, steak or fillet of salmon soaked in brine, hot smoked and dyed red. In Europe a split salmon is soaked in brine and cold smoked.

kippered herring - Also called kippers. These are herrings that have been split down the middle and cold-smoked in a solution of brine.

Hope that helps ...

It just sounds bad for breakfast.....but nice in the evening, on a cracker with some white wine. :mrgreen:

I like your shot! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back