Zeiss lenses - new mount - for which camera??

I

Iron Flatline

Hmmm... some speculation:

Zeiss is one of the greatest lens makers ever - along with Leica.

A German site points out that Zeiss has a teaser on their front page about a new lens mount coming next week (Sep 15th) called the ZE mount.

There is considerable speculation that this could imply Zeiss lenses will be available for Canon EOS mount. They're already available for the current digital Nikons (ZF lenses) and modern the Pentax system, the ZK lenses (a highly under-rated system, btw) and of course the ever-improving Sony Alpha mount (ZA).

We'll know more in 36 hours I guess.

I too am very excited about the Zeiss pipeline. I think there is a lot of market share to win over via the Sony-Zeiss relationship but I have yet to see them really go for it aggressively.

The whole Zeiss SLR lens line is under-rated. To an extent the ZM line as well but they have gained headway among Leica shooters. Sources on the web as well as samples really show the potential of these lenses. I've handled a lot of those lenses at the local camera dealer and their quality is impressive (other than the smallish focusing tab on ZM lenses). I was just shy a few weeks short of purchasing the ZM 25mm Biogon until I found a deal on a 24mm Elmarit that I just could not pass up.

If they do release a Canon EF compatible mount, I would like the 18mm in addition to the 85mm.

For that price you might be able to pick up a good pre-owned Leica 80mm Sumilux-R.

Nikon, Pentax and Sony mounts are covered... so that leaves Olympus and Canon? I have my money on Canon as I've heard rumors on dpreview about this before (even though that leaves no credibility whatsoever).

I think it's for Canon also. ZE - E as in EOS or EF? Perhaps...

I haven't really put effort but I have noticed that the later Summilux-R 80mm lens on the used market is still more expensive than the Zeiss 85mm brand new.

Maybe the micro-4/3rds system? That would be cool! It would be super timely too as there's only like 3 or 4 lenses that are fully functional right now. If they happen to know that other manufacturers will be coming out with Micro-4/3rds systems too they could stand to capture a pretty big market share.

BTW, that lens does look beautiful indeed!

Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 Distagon T* ZF Manual Focus

4/3rds and micro4/3rds are a whole different bag. The previous mounts are all survivors from the film days, and as such all have about the same distance from lens to film plane, room for the mirror box, etc. You couldn't just mount an SLR lens in front of the micro4/3rds system... I believe it's a little easier with the 4/3rds system, though that somewhat defeats the purpose there as well. In their case the lenses were specifically designed in terms of the angle of the light being brought toward the sensor, and the crop factor (x2.0) doesn't translate the way we're used to thinking about crop.

... but unlike Tamron or Tokina, Zeiss also makes lenses for MF and LF (and even RF) so this does not automatically mean these new lenses are for Canon... I sure hope so though, and that does seem to be the general assumption.

Manual focus.
http://www.zeiss.com/C1256A770030BC...91CA1DD9ED2D3E7DC12574C20034047F?OpenDocument
Carl Zeiss said:
ZE – Carl Zeiss SLR lenses now also with EF bayonet
More optics for everyone

OBERKOCHEN/Germany, 15.09.2008.
Carl Zeiss is expanding its successful line of SLR lenses: ZE lenses with EF bayonet for all analog and digital EOS camera models. As with all EF lenses, the new ZE lenses from Carl Zeiss transfer all information exclusively via electronic contacts. This means that all exposure modes such as programmed auto exposure, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual setting are supported. The camera’s automatic focus confirmation also remains available to an unlimited extent with these manual focus lenses. With digital SLRs, the lens data and all exposure data can also be accessed via the camera’s EXIF file. Even E-TTL flash metering is supported. The first lenses to be available will be the Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE and the Planar T* 1.4/85 ZE in the last quarter of this year. Further focal lengths will be added to the line within the next few months. Recommended retail price of both lenses:
Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE 579 euros
(incl. 19% German VAT)
Planar T* 1.4/85 ZE 999 euros
(incl. 19% German VAT)

Cool!

I expect them to be cheaper in the US... Usayit, that definitely makes them more affordable than Leica lenses.

I wish Leica would enter the after-market business, but if Zeiss is only asking that much for their lenses (less than Canon L, even though they're sharper) then Leica would price itself out of the market.

I wish Leica would enter the after-market business, but if Zeiss is only asking that much for their lenses (less than Canon L, even though they're sharper) then Leica would price itself out of the market.

Yup.. my thoughts exactly... Ever since I "discovered" the Zeiss lenses at a local camera shop and took them out for a test drive, I have always had that thought.

With ZM lenses and Voigtlanders, there is so many options out there for the M-mount. I can't believe Leica hasn't figured out that pricing is going to be the end of them. Seems someone is "kinda" listening when they released the more affordable Summarits (which by the way have been really good to me).

So far the only "Mistake" Zeiss has made was how they accommodate the M8 shooters. There is no program for me to purchase/order the 25mm Zeiss M-mount with the proper mount to bring up the 24mm framelines on the M8. Zeiss insists that I buy one and have it shipped back to them for a mount change; incurring shipping and service chargers. NOT exactly the purchase experience I was expecting. I was very close to making the final purchase but I happen to find a 24mm elmarit for a price too good to pass.

I had a feeling that the 85mm would be one of the first lenses to be done in EF mount..... SLR shooters tend to go for longer focal lengths (fast apertures) first. I would also imagine that the R&D costs of the wider angles are higher.... thus the 85mm and 50mm would make for a good "teaser"/"tester" for the market.

Last edited:
Bought the 90mm Summarit, and put it on my R-D1 as my second body while in Cambodia (I had a 21mm Elmarit on the M8) so I had a really long lens and nice wide angle around my neck at the same time for three weeks.

The Summarits rock, I'm surprised they're getting so little (negative) attention on the Leica forums. I guess people expect so little of them that they're outperforming expectations... whereas people seem to be seeking out back-focus issues and all that stuff on every other lens they have.

... but unlike Tamron or Tokina, Zeiss also makes lenses for MF and LF (and even RF) so this does not automatically mean these new lenses are for Canon... I sure hope so though, and that does seem to be the general assumption.

Yeah, but they also make lenses for cell-phones and P&S cameras too so I thought... maybe.. ;)

Oh well... wrong again! :D

Most reactions

Back