Zeiss Touit 32mm Normal Lens

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by fmw, Jul 23, 2017.

1. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Zeiss 32 arrived today. Immaculate condition. My initial impressions are pretty close to the exact opposite of what I read in the blog reviews. Did I see any vignetting in the corners at f1.8? Nope. Not even a little. Is the autofocus noisy? Nope. There is the little chirp when it reaches focus but nothing noticeable from the motor. Are the rubberized focus and aperture rings problematic? Not for me. Is it sharp as a tack wide open? Nope. Mine isn't. Actually I find it unacceptably soft wide open. At f1.8, it is fine for internet and computer screen viewing but the 100% crops show the edges and corners to be pretty soft. At f2.8 it is as sharp as a new razor blade. It is slightly less contrasty than my Fujifilm prime lenses but very slightly. Color rendition is accurate and no aberrations were noted. It is very well corrected - except at the edges at f1.8.

Overall it's a fine lens comparable to the Fujinon single focal length products. If you make big prints and need sharp corners at f1.8 you may want to buy the Fuji 35 f1.4. If you want a well made, high performance normal lens for your Fuji system, it doesn't really get any better than this. Terrific lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

:boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:

3. fmw

Sorry, Gary. I don't understand your dancing emojis.

4. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I am happy for you. You got a great deal on a lens that you seem to like. Hence the happy dance. (I'm a simple guy.)

5. fmw

Thank you sir. I do like it, just like you like yours. It's really nice looking too. I'll put it through its paces over the weekend. I didn't have much time for testing today but I liked what I saw.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sounds NICE! I never expect a normal-type lens to be tack sharp wide-open. Maybe something like the 200/2 VR or the 300/2.8, but not a smaller lens designed for generalized uses, not sports/news/wildlife. SOunds like a fine,fine new addition to the mirrorless kit. I seldom shoot at f/1.8 or even f/2.8, so I reallllly care mostly about how a lens behaves stopped down three stops and four stops from max-wide. Perhaps you're the same, since you seem level-headed and very pragmatic photographically speaking.

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Now you got me thinking of getting one, I may have to slap you old man.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. fmw

Derrel, the only issue is that my purpose in buying the lens was speed. My 18-55 covers this focal length. I don't mean to be harsh in my comments and, like most general purpose lenses as you say, wide open the corners fall off in sharpness. I'm not surprised by it. Just reporting it. From f2.8 to f8 it is very sharp corner to corner. I didn't go past f8 in my test. One would expect a lens with the Zeiss logo to perform well and this one is no exception and I'm not apologizing for the lens. It is a definite keeper.

9. fmw

I thought you had the 35 f1.4. If so then you're good to go. If not then I'll consider myself slapped. Only Gary would buy all three versions. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Nope, opted for the 23mm f2. I use the 18-55 when I need a little more reach. I borrowed the 35 1.4 and returned it. Then rented a 35 and 23 f2 and chose the 23

11. fmw

Then I look forward to your impressions of the Zeiss 32. :)

12. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit

Oh, you'll know when I slap you....