Zen and the Art of the Wedding Photojournalist

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
An article in Rangefinder about a prominent Wedding Photojournalist.

Great article! Thanks for posting this :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan. That's exactly the area I am interested in pursuing in the future. That guy's stuff is really really good though. I'd need a lot more practice in the classic stuff before I ever attempted that.

I like the photojournalistic wedding style, but I have to say that most are unable to capture the emotion that really gives impact to that style of photography.

I remember a few shots that have really made me feel the emotions that were present at the event. There is one shot I remember seeing that showed the bride dancing with her father. There was the sparkle of tears in his eyes as he held his "little girl all grown up" (my interpretation) for what he may have feared to be his last time. Neither was looking at the camera, and you could tell that the capture was of a very private moment between dad and his daughter. In that one shot you saw pride, love, fear and anticipation. I wish I could remember who took the picture, as it is the most moving "photojournalistic" wedding shot I've ever seen.

It's the raw emotion that sets separates photojournalistic and snap shot.

I agree Deb, it's not easy! From the outside perspective it seems like it would be, because people think "oh, I don't pose, I just following people around and shoot!" but getting that emotion is key. Even simple things like photographing the bride getting ready...there can be so much clutter going on in the background you really have to carefully compose your shots to make sure you get the impact of the scene.

If you come across that photo I'd love to see it! Was it posted here or did you come across it somewhere else?

Allison, it was posted on one of the forums. I cannot for the life of me remember if it was here or at Fred Miranda. It was probably posted a year or so ago. I just remember that the photo impressed me, and the impact has stayed with me. It also slapped me between the eyes with a "you need to work on this" message. I'm still working, and have yet to get that strong of an emotion on film (or sensor).

I think a lot of it has to do with the bride, groom and their families being so on edge during a ceremony. The moments when all guards are dropped are rare. You have to be on the lookout for them. Much of a wedding is a preformance, and it's when the performance ends that the real personalities can come through.

It was a treat to see Joe at work in the Masters of wedding DVD. Not exactly a fly on the wall reportage like Dennis Reggie or Ascough.
I should be getting his DVD titled 'Defining the moment' next week.

By the way, I just received Mike Colon's DVD today. Can't wait to see it! :)

Most reactions

Back