Zion National Park

You don't want to tempt me....I'm not rational about that place.

I'll stowaway in your RV! Don't tell the guys, it'll be our secret. :wink:

No no, you're supposed to be the diversion!!! :wink: I play the part of the lumpy thing under the blanket in back.

ssshhhhh, Mark....the lump IS Terri! You mustn't point it out when she's trying to be a stowaway, dude! :wink:

I get the feeling this will never work...... :?

One of the best hikes in my book, provided you don't have a problem with heights or exposure is Angel's Landing. You go up the West Rim Trail through Refrigerator Canyon up a series of switchbacks to a viewpoint called Scout Lookout. Above this point there a chains attached to the rock for use as handholds if you feel you need them. The view from the top is spectacular. You will look down on the road and the Temple of Sinawava. The trail is "paved" with blacktop to prevent erosion of the trail since it is so popular. You will be next to the Great White Throne. Light is best in the pm. You can continue up on the West Rim trail if you desire.
The Court of the Patriachs is good from sunrise to mid-morning. Just remember you have to take the park shuttle buses from April 1-Oct 31. Their first bus leaves Springdale at 5:30 check www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm for listing of times and other park information.
A good book on photographing in the Southwest including Zion is Volume 1 of Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres.
Hope this helps.

terri said:
No no, you're supposed to be the diversion!!! :wink: I play the part of the lumpy thing under the blanket in back.

Yeah - right! I will probably be hiding with you considering that it looks like it is going to be me, Chase, Voods & MD! All that testosterone in one place... I'm getting scared already! :shock:

No worries, girlie....they can tote all your gear. :wink:

Photodog: You're so right! Angel's Landing is a kickass hike, but it considered "strenuous" so no one should trot off up there without appropriate drinking water and sturdy boots.

You guys need to score a park map and study all these hikes and choose carefully. If you just want to get out and be able to carry all your camera gear, including tripods, an "easy" to "moderate" hike will suit you well. It's breathtakingly beautiful on all turns, regardless of whether you're blowing your knees out or not. :p

Don't forget the famous Kolob Arch is just up the road (off Hwy 15, I think??) Oh, you're gonna have such a great time!! :D

Visited Zion is the summer of 2002, did not hike the river, the road that run to head of the river trial, has tram service that makes stop along the way, got off at a few places, tried to get some photo but have had poor results, it a narrow canyon will poor light at the bottom, but tops of walls where the opposite. But I did get some good shots along the road that runs across the park

More at: http://community.webshots.com/album/46743977Wgmmod

95983846290007FHClQAph.jpg

95984046867243cNUEBnph.jpg

95984346867938GAwmMHph.jpg

for in canyon late afternoon
95985446867421ckGqUkph.jpg

for in canyon late afternoon
95985746867460YwMtJxph.jpg

Most reactions

Back