flygning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SouthDakotaJune-July07175e1.jpg

SouthDakotaJune-July07166e1.jpg

SouthDakotaJune-July07167e1.jpg

Some shots from Zion National Park taken last year.

I know #2, the Checkerboard, is a shot that pretty much any tourist who goes to Zion gets, so it isn't terribly unique. I also know it is a bit dark- let me know your thoughts on whether the shadow looks okay or adds or subtracts anything from the picture. If you think it is too dark, and tips on how to lighten up just that area?

C&C on all of them is appreciated!

I really like number 1.
I think that the exposition on number 2 is okay.

Nice shots. I'm going to Zion in two weeks and am really looking forward to the trip.

The best indicator if an image is too dark, is in my opinion, if you feel it is too dark. Sounds like you may think so.

The only way I know to edit photos is through photoshop.

I would either;

Select the dark area with the wand or lasso tool, feather and copy it to a new layer, and adjust the curves; or my new favorite method:

Select the area using the brush tool and a quick mask and make a curves adjustment layer then adjust the curve to lighten.

Takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun and easy.

Dodging is also an option.

Good tips, abraxas. I've tried the wand trick, but it always ended up shoddy looking. I've only just discovered the dodge tool, so that will be something to try out, along with your favored method. I'll play around with it when I'm not so tired and post it if it turns out well :)

You have nice images to work with.

SouthDakotaJune-July07166e1.jpg

What I did here was use a brush tool in quick-mask mode to select the area, then invert the selection.

Next I made an adjustment layer for curves and lightened the selected areas to taste.

That looks much better, abraxas! I'm getting a quick photoshop tutorial in another thread (this site rocks :p) so I'll see what I can do with this one once I've been enlightened :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back