Zoo Animals - Please Critique

Cheyenne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm very new to the world of photography and this board :D

I live in Victoria, Australia and recently went on a trip to the Melbourne Zoo and took some photos that I thought I would share.

I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions :D

This first shot is of a Lion, one of my favorite animals. Apart from cropping, this photo has not been edited.

Was taken using a Nikon Coolpix 3700

DSCN13311.jpg

I'll post some other Zoo photos shortly :D

Thanks

Anne

This photo is slightly more clear than your others, assuming more light. I would recommend possibly getting lower to the ground on this shot, maybe even lower than his eye level. That would do more justice to the size of the animal, and we all know lions need to be portrayed as big and brawny, right?

Do you mind me asking what kind of camera you have?

Hi EB - you would be correct in thinking that there is more light in this photo. The other photos that I have posted were taken on a very overcast and cloudy day and nearing dark. This photo was taken on a clearer day earlier in the morning.

The picture was taken overhead above the Lions as that is where the viewing point is for the Lions at Melbourne Zoo unfortunately there was no opportunities to take photos eye level or lower.

The camera this and the other shots were taken on is a Nikon Coolpix 3700 a basic camera that is quite old now and a hand me down from family.

Thanks for your feed back :D

Anne

Here is one of a Meerkat taken on the same day.

Again this image has not been edited other than some cropping

DSCN12671.jpg

I prefer the second picture, better composition used, and it's just generally more interesting. Nice shot! ;-)

Nicely done Anne. Welcome to the forum BTW. Love the second shot.
That is one good lookin lion too.

What ISO did you use on the first one? In my experience Coolpix's can get pretty noisey at higher ISOs. The lack of good clarity makes me think of a Coolpix using a higher ISO.

The second one is cute with decent composition and clarity though. Nice job.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys :D I really appreciate it.

Aluminium - The photo of the Lion was taken using one of the automatic scene modes on the coolpix as I am just starting out so haven't really played with the ISO and other things as yet.

Thanks again

Anne

Most reactions

New Topics

Back